NEWS BRIEFS

Sebastian the Ibis creator dies
John Stormont, the UM graduate credited with creating and wearing the original Sebastian, has died. Stormont, a n and his fellow residents of San Sebastian hall created the ibis as an entry in the homecoming celebration of 1957. The following year, Stormont wore the costume to football games, thus beginning the tradition of Sebastian the Ibis. Following graduation, Stormont worked as a professor at UM and MDCC, as well as a news editor for WPLG.

Undergrad mag seeks editors
Dune Shack is an online literary magazine featuring work from UM undergraduates. It is produced by the Creative Writing program in conjunction with U-Turn, the non-fiction webzine written and designed by students in English 306. Dune Shack is now looking for editors who will solicit student creative work-including poetry, fiction, drama and new media-and select pieces for inclusion in the Fall issue of the ‘zine. Any UM undergraduate who would be interested in working on this exciting new publication should contact Neil de la Flor at theduneshack@yahoo.com or Gina Maranto, Assistant Director of Composition, at g.maranto@miami.edu. An organizational meeting will be held in the next few weeks. To check out the current edition of Dune Shack, go to www.uturnmag.com.

Latin films to show at Cosford
The Motion Picture Association-Latin America and School of Communication present the Latin American Film Series 2003, showcasing first-run films from Argentina, Brazil and Mexico twice a month at The Bill Cosford Cinema located in the Memorial Building. For details and show times call 305-284-1870.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...