NEWS BRIEFS

Sebastian the Ibis creator dies
John Stormont, the UM graduate credited with creating and wearing the original Sebastian, has died. Stormont, a n and his fellow residents of San Sebastian hall created the ibis as an entry in the homecoming celebration of 1957. The following year, Stormont wore the costume to football games, thus beginning the tradition of Sebastian the Ibis. Following graduation, Stormont worked as a professor at UM and MDCC, as well as a news editor for WPLG.

Undergrad mag seeks editors
Dune Shack is an online literary magazine featuring work from UM undergraduates. It is produced by the Creative Writing program in conjunction with U-Turn, the non-fiction webzine written and designed by students in English 306. Dune Shack is now looking for editors who will solicit student creative work-including poetry, fiction, drama and new media-and select pieces for inclusion in the Fall issue of the ‘zine. Any UM undergraduate who would be interested in working on this exciting new publication should contact Neil de la Flor at theduneshack@yahoo.com or Gina Maranto, Assistant Director of Composition, at g.maranto@miami.edu. An organizational meeting will be held in the next few weeks. To check out the current edition of Dune Shack, go to www.uturnmag.com.

Latin films to show at Cosford
The Motion Picture Association-Latin America and School of Communication present the Latin American Film Series 2003, showcasing first-run films from Argentina, Brazil and Mexico twice a month at The Bill Cosford Cinema located in the Memorial Building. For details and show times call 305-284-1870.

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas