NEWS BRIEFS

Sebastian the Ibis creator dies
John Stormont, the UM graduate credited with creating and wearing the original Sebastian, has died. Stormont, a n and his fellow residents of San Sebastian hall created the ibis as an entry in the homecoming celebration of 1957. The following year, Stormont wore the costume to football games, thus beginning the tradition of Sebastian the Ibis. Following graduation, Stormont worked as a professor at UM and MDCC, as well as a news editor for WPLG.

Undergrad mag seeks editors
Dune Shack is an online literary magazine featuring work from UM undergraduates. It is produced by the Creative Writing program in conjunction with U-Turn, the non-fiction webzine written and designed by students in English 306. Dune Shack is now looking for editors who will solicit student creative work-including poetry, fiction, drama and new media-and select pieces for inclusion in the Fall issue of the ‘zine. Any UM undergraduate who would be interested in working on this exciting new publication should contact Neil de la Flor at theduneshack@yahoo.com or Gina Maranto, Assistant Director of Composition, at g.maranto@miami.edu. An organizational meeting will be held in the next few weeks. To check out the current edition of Dune Shack, go to www.uturnmag.com.

Latin films to show at Cosford
The Motion Picture Association-Latin America and School of Communication present the Latin American Film Series 2003, showcasing first-run films from Argentina, Brazil and Mexico twice a month at The Bill Cosford Cinema located in the Memorial Building. For details and show times call 305-284-1870.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...