Greek recruitment offers UM students social benefits, more

Greek Recruitment is here! If you’re not Greek, you’ve probably asked yourself, “What’s all the fuss about?” It’s simple.
“Recruitment is the best way to meet new friends at the University,” Tim Williamson, vice president of recruitment for the Interfraternity Council [IFC], said. “It allows you to meet hundreds of new students while at the same time acclimating you to life at the University.”
Williamson says he expects a record number of men and women to go through recruitment this year.
“We have new and exciting events, and the student leaders around campus are all Greek,” Williamson said. “All new students should participate in recruitment because it gives you benefits that you can take with you for the rest of your life.”
Natalie Pick, vice president of recruitment for Panhellenic, agrees.
“Being Greek is a great way to find your niche at this University, be it through academics, leadership positions, sports or just a group of people that share a common bond,” Pick said. “There’s something for everyone and it’s definitely been the best experience of my college career.”
“It’s opened so many doors for me,” she said.
Panhellenic recruitment is a series of events allowing potential new members to learn all about sorority life. Within this week of events, students meet with each individual sorority to learn more about their chapter.
Through this formalized recruitment process, a system has been set up where the intended outcome is that all participating ladies are allowed to be offered a position in a sorority through quota. Quota is set during the recruitment process using a formula to predict the average number of women that would be placed in the sisterhood of each sorority at the end of recruitment, on Bid Day.
IFC recruitment began the first day you walked onto campus; bids could be given out the first day of class, and bidding continues through Sep. 12. Although there is a formal process, IFC organizations may recruit year round. IFC has a lot to offer its members.
“There so many reasons, its hard to begin,” Steven Ollek, Rho Alpha, said. “Sports, academics, social connections – there are so many opportunities.”
Additionally, the Latino Greek Council and the National Panhellenic recruit through a process known as intake. This process generally includes an introduction stage, an induction ceremony, and an education program.
Many believe that Greek membership definitely has its advantages.
“Being Greek is great – it allows you to meet more people than if you were not Greek,” William Ryan Walker, junior, said.
Think it’s too late to join because you’re not a freshman? Think again; recruitment is for everyone. When asked why she was signing up for recruitment, Katherine Unger, sophomore, said: “I want to meet people, meet new friends, get involved with the social aspect.”
Both the IFC and the Panhellenic Association are currently gearing up for their formal recruitment. IFC has already kicked off their formal recruitment, while Panhellenic formal recruitment is slated to begin Sep. 8.
For more information regarding Greek recruitment, contact greekhurricanes@yahoo.com or visit www.miami.edu/greeklife.

The Miami Hurricane will print a Greek Gossip section every Tuesday. Greek organizations are encouraged to contact either Stephanie Brown or Robert Castro with any information they would like to see included in the section in regards to special events, achievements, plans or any other newsworthy aspect of Greek life.