Rich kids on A.R.E. and the sober Miamians who hate them

Portions of this article have appeared on Gawker.com and in the New York Post’s Page Six

It’s a humid-as-hell Fourth of July and an edgy Brain McPeck is sizing me up like he’s two seconds and two feet away from flinging a punch at my face inside the downtown club I/O. Sitting beside him sipping a Red Stripe, relatively vexed, is bassist and longtime friend Matt McAuley. One question into the interview and I’m already wondering if these guys are for real.

“We’ll pull the fucking interview right now. Seriously, no more questions about it,” growls the junkie-framed Brain, front man for the utterly insignificant but train wreck chic NYC outfit A.R.E. Weapons.

Color-drained images of Sex Pistol Johnny Rotten pulling this bullshit on Kurt Loder years back mix with muffled fireworks competing in the light-polluted sky outside. Repressed Southern boy confidence aroused from hours of holiday libation and barbecuing diminishes this decidedly minor threat even further. Practically the same build, I can take this guy. So, with a little rephrasing I decide to inquire once more about the band’s thoughts on The Brown Bunny, the recent cinematic Cannes fiasco in which actress Chlo

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...