NEWS BRIEFS

UM ranks with Princeton Review
UM was recently ranked in three categories in the Princeton Review’s annual college guidebook, The Best 351 Colleges. UM ranked fifth best in both the “Great College Town” and “Most Beautiful Campus” and ninth in the “Diverse Student Population” list. To read the full listings, visit www.princetonreview.com.

CIO recognizes UM’s technology
UM has received CIO magazine’s accolade as one of the top 100 organizations demonstrating the resourceful use of technology in a tough economic climate. The 16th annual awards from CIO (Chief Information Officer) recognize organizations around the world that excel in positive business performance through resourceful IT management and practices.
One of four institutions of higher education to earn this year’s award, UM is also one of only two honored organizations from Florida – the other being Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. of Miami.

UMTV earns Crystal Reel Award
UMIQ, UMTV’s game show, has been awarded the prestigious Crystal Reel Award given out by the Florida Motion Picture and Television Association.
The Crystal Reel is an award created to honor outstanding achievement in the Motion Picture, Television, Recording and Digital Media industries in the State of Florida.
UMIQ is a game show based on questions gathered from different classrooms. Contestants are randomly selected from a lottery for each of the eight teams representing UM students: Apartment Area, Eaton, Hecht, Stanford, Mahoney, Pearson, Greeks and Commuters.
Each show consists of three rounds, and the winning team from every episode advances to the finals. Each contestant of the winning team receives a $1,000 credit to the UM bookstore. Runners-up receive a $500 credit, courtesy of UM Provost Luis Glaser.
Look for UMIQ on the campus cable channel UMTV, Channel 24, or on AT&T Broadband Channel 96 in Coral Gables.

Matchboxtwenty bassist endows scholarship for School of Music
Musician Brian Yale, bass guitarist for the band Matchbox Twenty, has recently endowed a scholarship at his alma mater, the University of Miami School of Music, for incoming students.
Yale, a graduate of the school in 1992, and his band mates have created the Matchbox Twenty Foundation. Yale contacted UM after receiving the University’s alumni publication Miami Magazine, which inspired him to help those who want to study music as he did. According to Yale, UM School of Music Professor Matthew Bonelli was instrumental in his growth musically. In fact, Yale dedicated Matchbox Twenty’s first album to his professor.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...