Jihad and the Tale of the Seventy-Two Virgins

Reasonable people agree that not all Muslims should be blamed for the actions of those relative few that commit acts of murder in the name of Islam. This however, does not mean that Islam or its practitioners are exempt from legitimate criticism. While it is certainly both reasonable and understandable that a practitioner of this faith should step forward and respond to criticism of it, that response should have more intellectual depth than the standard rote answer of “You’re taking that out of context.”

It is unreasonable to demand that one has to have the entire Koran memorized to be able to comment on it, any more than a Muslim should be expected to memorize the Bible in its entirety before launching into the intellectually vacuous recitation of the Crusades as a justification for modern Muslim paranoia.

American Muslims claim to be just as loyal and patriotic as any other Americans. While I have no reason to believe that claim to be insincere, I’ve seen no action to back up that rhetoric. Part of the problem that exists between the Muslim world and the United States is one of misunderstanding of motives. It is not just the responsibility of non-Muslim Americans to work through these misunderstandings. Being open-minded must be a two-way street that both the Muslim and the non-Muslim drive across. Why have American Muslim religious leaders not organized groups to travel to the Middle East to establish dialogues with “the Arab street?”

To communicate from a position of your own commonality would go a lot farther toward building conciliatory relations than sitting here getting outraged because last semester one of the Hurricane’s columnists wrote about what is a well-documented tool used to manipulate young Muslim men into committing murder/suicide – the receipt of seventy-two virgins in the afterlife.

Can you imagine the benefit of a meeting in, say, Gaza where a group of American Muslim students met with Palestinian students? The American students might say something like, “Look we disagree with our country’s policy toward Israel, but take it from us, America is not out to destroy Islam.” Is that occurring? No. Instead of going over there and saying those things, the American Muslim community has decided it’s going to stay here and say, “You’re taking that out of context.”

Scott Wacholtz is a senior majoring in political science. He can be reached at aramis1642@hotmail.com.

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...