Hurricane Sports Briefs

Women’s Soccer

The University of Miami soccer team played its final exhibition match of the season against No. 21 Florida Saturday morning at Cobb Stadium.
The Hurricanes had a strong outing the three 30-minute periods. Miami took seven shots on goal compared to four for UF.

“I was pleased with our overall performance today,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro. “We came in with a set game plan and executed it very well. We will now go in and make some adjustments in preparation for the regular season.”
The two teams were scoreless after the first 30 minutes of play, with Miami taking six shots compared to only two for the Gators.

The only goal of the match came at the 47 minute mark as Amber Presnick of UF scored on a deflected ball by Miami goalkeeper Alex Alford. Miami tallied 13 total shots on the day while the Gators took 12 shots. Freshman keeper Alford made three saves in 90 minutes of action in her first outing as a Hurricane.

Brittni Goodwin of UF made four saves in 45 minutes, while Colleen Donovan made three saves in 45 minutes. Florida took seven corner kicks while Miami took three. Anik Huffman led Miami with three shots.

Miami opens the 2003 season on Friday, Aug. 29 at 5:30 p.m. vs. Indiana in the FAU tournament in Boca Raton, Fla.

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...