Got a Gripe?

Robert Castro, former Student Government [SG] presidential run-off candidate, has recently taken on the position of intern for the Division of Student Affairs.

“My job is to work as a liaison between the administration and the student body,” Castro said. “I also collaborate with separate departments throughout campus on different projects.”

“I want to be there for students who may feel a little awkward approaching the administration with a comment or concern,” Castro said. “Luckily, though, we have a very student-friendly administration, but I can understand why some students might prefer to talk to a student.”

Currently, Castro is working on a September 11 remembrance ceremony. He is also working on the planning for the renovation/expansion project of the UC and with the Convocation Center [C-Center] advisory committee. During the summer, he worked as an off-campus housing coordinator. This is the second year the intern position exists.

According to Richard Walker, assistant vice-president for student affairs working directly with Castro, the position was developed to give student leaders a “different type” of leadership opportunity.

“Typically for this position we try to find a seasoned student leader that will help the administration with a variety of special projects throughout the year,” Walker said. Currently, in addition to his new position, Robert Castro is president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, public relations coordinator for the Inter-Fraternity Council [IFC], and president of BACCHUS, a peer education group that focuses on promoting the education of the effects of alcohol and responsible drinking. In the past,
Castro also served as vice-president of the Honor Council and president of the Federation of Cuban Students [FEC].

“Leadership positions on campus help students to develop as individuals while at the same time helping UM and fellow students,” Castro said. “It makes for a more well-rounded college experience.”

“It’s nice to be able to say ‘Wow! I helped make that change.'”
Castro encourages any student who may have a problem on campus to contact him directly so that he may work toward developing a resolution.

“Whenever I’m not in class, I’m available,” Castro said. “You can’t just have all positive, you need the negative to learn from, and thus create the positives.”

Robert Castro can be contacted via e-mail at rcastro@miami.edu.

The Miami Hurricane will follow up on all of the projects that Castro and the Division of Student Affairs will be working on throughout the semester.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at xxarauzxx@yahoo.com.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...