Got a Gripe?

Robert Castro, former Student Government [SG] presidential run-off candidate, has recently taken on the position of intern for the Division of Student Affairs.

“My job is to work as a liaison between the administration and the student body,” Castro said. “I also collaborate with separate departments throughout campus on different projects.”

“I want to be there for students who may feel a little awkward approaching the administration with a comment or concern,” Castro said. “Luckily, though, we have a very student-friendly administration, but I can understand why some students might prefer to talk to a student.”

Currently, Castro is working on a September 11 remembrance ceremony. He is also working on the planning for the renovation/expansion project of the UC and with the Convocation Center [C-Center] advisory committee. During the summer, he worked as an off-campus housing coordinator. This is the second year the intern position exists.

According to Richard Walker, assistant vice-president for student affairs working directly with Castro, the position was developed to give student leaders a “different type” of leadership opportunity.

“Typically for this position we try to find a seasoned student leader that will help the administration with a variety of special projects throughout the year,” Walker said. Currently, in addition to his new position, Robert Castro is president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, public relations coordinator for the Inter-Fraternity Council [IFC], and president of BACCHUS, a peer education group that focuses on promoting the education of the effects of alcohol and responsible drinking. In the past,
Castro also served as vice-president of the Honor Council and president of the Federation of Cuban Students [FEC].

“Leadership positions on campus help students to develop as individuals while at the same time helping UM and fellow students,” Castro said. “It makes for a more well-rounded college experience.”

“It’s nice to be able to say ‘Wow! I helped make that change.'”
Castro encourages any student who may have a problem on campus to contact him directly so that he may work toward developing a resolution.

“Whenever I’m not in class, I’m available,” Castro said. “You can’t just have all positive, you need the negative to learn from, and thus create the positives.”

Robert Castro can be contacted via e-mail at rcastro@miami.edu.

The Miami Hurricane will follow up on all of the projects that Castro and the Division of Student Affairs will be working on throughout the semester.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at xxarauzxx@yahoo.com.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...