Former New York Library System overseer to head UM Libraries

William D. Walker, who oversaw one of the world’s largest research library operations for the New York Public Library System, has recently been named University Librarian at UM.

Walker has also served as director of the Medical Library Center of New York and as the head of Information Services at the University of Illinois Medical Center’s Library of the Health Sciences.
Currently, Walker serves as The New York Public Library’s senior vice- president and as the Andrew W. Mellon Director of the Research Libraries. His new position with UM begins Oct.1.

“Mr. Walker is a very distinguished research librarian who will be an asset to the University of Miami and the students and faculty who study here,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said in a press release. “He has impeccable credentials, and we are delighted he will be joining the University.”

“The University is very fortunate to have acquired an extraordinarily talented director of libraries,” UM Provost Luis Glaser said. “Under his leadership, the Library will flourish.”

Walker said he is looking forward to being part of such an academically-advanced institution.

“The energy that one feels on campus that is directed at growing and advancing the academic programs at UM is so exciting, and the library should be central to those activities,” Walker said. “For me, this is an incredible opportunity to position the Richter Library and its branches in the new academic work that is taking place across this country.”

At UM, Walker will oversee a library system anchored by the newly refurbished $17.5 million Otto G. Richter Library, which houses 1.8 million of the University’s volumes, more than half of UM’s total library holdings.

Walker and his staff are currently in the process of planning for the upcoming semesters.

For more information about the Richter Library, visit www.library.miami.edu.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at xxarauzxx@yahoo.com.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...