Culture

Calendar: BIGFOOT bash @ Automatic Slim’s, Hilton sisters’ soiree @ Opium

For the UM kids who didn’t get enough vice their first weekend, our pal, pro skater Joel Meinholz, is throwing “BIGFOOT” bashes at Automatic Slim’s every Monday in tribute to that four-wheeled Deliverance grease dream of the same name.
Everything’s under four “dollas” from 10 p.m. to 12 a.m., with comp’d bevies if you can Smooth Criminal a window on the karaoke machine.
Be a mate and tell your roommates and friends and cool PSY professors and that dood with a boombox on his bike. It’s at 1216 Washington Ave. in SoBe. No rope, No VIP, No Bullsh*t. Chairs.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 29
If you wanna get sweaty with the Hilton sisters, hit up their Ocean Drive magazine party at Opium Garden, 136 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, with Mr. Mauricio and Markus Schulz on the decks. Get on the guest list and maybe you’ll catch us in V.I.P. RSVP Nikki at 305-532-2544 x 403.

Revolver and Filter magazine presents a CD release party for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club’s new album, Take Them On, On Your Own, at Soho Lounge, 175-193 N.E. 36th Street, Miami. 2 for 1 drinks before midnight. Doors open at 11 p.m. 305-576-1988.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 30
The Baboons perform at 10 p.m. at Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave., Miami. 305-374-1198.

SUNDAY, AUGUST 31
Yerba Buena (i.e., “good herb” in Spanish) wants to get you high with their funky Latin sounds at I/O Lounge, 30 NE 14 St., Miami. 305-358-8007.

Thumping beats at Ultra Sunset Beach Festival with Paul Van Dyk, Groove Armada, Armand Van Helden and DJ Icey at the Miami Beach Convention Center, 1901 Convention Center Dr. Opens at 9 p.m. 305-673-7311.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3
Better than a wet T-shirt contest: Women’s Mud Wrestling at Churchill’s, 5501 NE 2nd Ave., Miami, with performances by 50 Watt Stereo, Clambake, Dream to Riot and others. 305-757-1807.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 4
Get all lovey-dovey (not!) with Tori Amos and Ben Folds at the Sound Advice Amphitheater, 601 Sansbury’s Way, West Palm Beach. $35-$45. 561-793-0445.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...