An interview with 9/11 ringleader’s local druggist

Amidst the boutiques, bistros and Bentleys along Delray Beach sits Huber Discount Drugs, a small-town apothecary. In August 2001, 9/11 ringleader Mohammed Atta and fellow pilot and hijacker Marwan Al-Shehhi entered Gregg Chatterton’s drugstore desperate for help.

Chatterton’s testimony has fueled worldwide speculation that Al-Qaeda operatives cowardly mailed the anthrax-laced letters that killed five and terrorized millions. Atta’s repeated attempts to rent and modify a chemical spraying crop-duster plane, anthrax manuals found in Afghanistan and the anthrax letters stating “Death to America. Death to Israel. Allah is Great ” all further implicate Al-Qaeda. Weapons grade anthrax spores were first detected on October 4, 2001 at American Media Inc., of Boca Raton, just five miles from Delray Beach. The CDC lists skin anthrax symptoms as swollen and itchy skin legions usually on the hands and inhalation anthrax symptoms as flu-like, including a deep cough.

Q: What did the terrorists say to you?
A: Atta said, “My hands, they’re burning and they’re itching.”

I replied, “Well, how did it happen?”
“I’m not sure”

“Are using some kind of cleaning fluid?”
“No, I work in computers.”

I figured he was lying so I threw out the term, toluene
Atta said, “I don’t use those type of chemicals.”

He knew damn well about chemicals. The chemical I asked him about is also used to make nitroglycerine for bombs.

Q: What did Atta’s hands look like?
A: They were completely red up to his wrist as if dunked in a bleach as to kill whatever was on them.

Q: What was Al-Sherri’s problem?
A: After I told Atta he could use Acid Mantle for his hands and started to walk away, he put his hands up against my chest and said, “My friend has a cough and night sweats.”

He could hardly breathe. I gave him some Robitussin and Atta took them and checked out.

Q: Do you believe they were responsible for the anthrax attacks?
A: I believe they had something to do with it.

Q: What was their demeanor?
A: Cocky. You could tell these people were on a mission. Atta looked like a real commander.

Q: How did the FBI respond to your testimony?
A: Right away. They put a 45-day watch on my house. After a virus saying, “Usama bin Laden kills” crashed my computer they arranged for a new one.

Q: Where do you believe the remaining chemical weapons are?
A: There has to be a place in South Florida where they’re locked up for future use.

Chatterton’s testimony implies that, with the anthrax case still unsolved and massive quantities of Iraqi chemical weapons still unaccounted for, terrorists continue to threaten our liberty and peace.

Pete Trombadore can be contacted at petetrombadore@hotmail.com.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...