An interview with 9/11 ringleader’s local druggist

Amidst the boutiques, bistros and Bentleys along Delray Beach sits Huber Discount Drugs, a small-town apothecary. In August 2001, 9/11 ringleader Mohammed Atta and fellow pilot and hijacker Marwan Al-Shehhi entered Gregg Chatterton’s drugstore desperate for help.

Chatterton’s testimony has fueled worldwide speculation that Al-Qaeda operatives cowardly mailed the anthrax-laced letters that killed five and terrorized millions. Atta’s repeated attempts to rent and modify a chemical spraying crop-duster plane, anthrax manuals found in Afghanistan and the anthrax letters stating “Death to America. Death to Israel. Allah is Great ” all further implicate Al-Qaeda. Weapons grade anthrax spores were first detected on October 4, 2001 at American Media Inc., of Boca Raton, just five miles from Delray Beach. The CDC lists skin anthrax symptoms as swollen and itchy skin legions usually on the hands and inhalation anthrax symptoms as flu-like, including a deep cough.

Q: What did the terrorists say to you?
A: Atta said, “My hands, they’re burning and they’re itching.”

I replied, “Well, how did it happen?”
“I’m not sure”

“Are using some kind of cleaning fluid?”
“No, I work in computers.”

I figured he was lying so I threw out the term, toluene
Atta said, “I don’t use those type of chemicals.”

He knew damn well about chemicals. The chemical I asked him about is also used to make nitroglycerine for bombs.

Q: What did Atta’s hands look like?
A: They were completely red up to his wrist as if dunked in a bleach as to kill whatever was on them.

Q: What was Al-Sherri’s problem?
A: After I told Atta he could use Acid Mantle for his hands and started to walk away, he put his hands up against my chest and said, “My friend has a cough and night sweats.”

He could hardly breathe. I gave him some Robitussin and Atta took them and checked out.

Q: Do you believe they were responsible for the anthrax attacks?
A: I believe they had something to do with it.

Q: What was their demeanor?
A: Cocky. You could tell these people were on a mission. Atta looked like a real commander.

Q: How did the FBI respond to your testimony?
A: Right away. They put a 45-day watch on my house. After a virus saying, “Usama bin Laden kills” crashed my computer they arranged for a new one.

Q: Where do you believe the remaining chemical weapons are?
A: There has to be a place in South Florida where they’re locked up for future use.

Chatterton’s testimony implies that, with the anthrax case still unsolved and massive quantities of Iraqi chemical weapons still unaccounted for, terrorists continue to threaten our liberty and peace.

Pete Trombadore can be contacted at petetrombadore@hotmail.com.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...