Youngest-ever Rhodes Scholar prepares for future

Devi Sridhar, an eighteen-year-old UM senior, is the youngest-ever recipient of the prestigious Rhodes Scholar award, the first recipient from UM since 1987.
“It was a little unexpected,” Sridhar said about winning the award. “When I heard I won, I just went blank… Even when I was a regional finalist I didn’t even think I had a shot.”
Yet Sridhar’s many accomplishments made her an ideal recipient. Among her many achievements, Sridhar is an accomplished violinist and a ranked tennis player. She is also fluent in five languages and has written a children’s book with her siblings titled, Puzzle Your Way Through Indian Mythology.
Criteria for winning the award includes a high level of academic achievement, integrity of character, a spirit of unselfishness, respect for others, a potential for leadership and physical vigor. The Rhodes Trust pays all college and university fees, provides a stipend to cover necessary expenses while in residence in Oxford, as well as during vacations and transportation to and from England.
Sridhar and 31 other Rhodes Scholars from the U.S. joined an international group of scholars, chosen from 18 other jurisdictions around the world. Sridhar, who graduated in May with a degree in biology, plans to pursue either a master’s degree in economics or neuroscience while at Oxford.
“I’m so proud of Devi being selected as a Rhodes Scholar,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said. “She has accomplished so much for someone her young age. Her outstanding academic record, combined with her musical and linguistic talents and concern for children unquestionably satisfies the Rhodes criteria for leadership and character.”
Sridhar attributes much of her motivation to her supportive parents and competitive siblings.
“Every single person in my family is always trying to be the best,” Sridhar said. “My parents both gave me a lot of attention and support. Whenever I developed interest in things, they always gave me the opportunity to do them.”
While still at UM, Sridhar worked with Shalala, who served as Secretary of Health and Human Services under the Clinton administration.
“We spent some time this spring exploring issues of health policy,” Shalala said to the Associated Press [AP]. “Who knows, she might be the secretary of Health and Human Services someday.”

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...