World-renowned researcher to head School of Nursing

Major changes are already underway for the School of Nursing as UM announced in April 2003 that Nilda Peragallo, R.N., Dr.P.H., FAAN will be the new dean of the school.
An internationally recognized researcher on HIV and AIDS among Hispanic populations, Dr. Peragallo will take on her new role this summer where she will also have a faculty appointment at the School of Medicine.
“Professor Peragallo is an accomplished scholar who will strengthen the research activities of the School of Nursing,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said in a news release. “Her areas of expertise and leadership make her a great fit for the University of Miami and for our community.”
Before coming to Miami, Dr. Peragallo taught as an associate professor at the School of Nursing at the University of Maryland and served as interim chair of the Department of Behavioral and Community Nursing. She also taught at the nursing schools at University of Illinois, University of Pennsylvania and University of Central Florida.
A native of Chile, she graduated in 1984 with a doctorate from the University of Texas School of Public Health. Her accomplishments include being a Fellow American Academy of Nursing [FAAN] member and serving as President of the National Association of Hispanic Nurses. She was also a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Nurse Scholar while at the University of Pennsylvania from 1989-91.
Dr. Peragallo was present on campus Apr. 28 as the School of Nursing broke ground on its new home, the $19 million state-of-the-art M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education, which is scheduled to be completed in Fall 2004.
“I am thrilled to be joining the University of Miami at such an opportune time,” Dr. Peragallo said in a news release. “I look forward to working and doing research in a diverse community.”

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...