Widom’s strong play leads men’s tennis

Though the Miami Hurricanes men’s tennis team advanced to NCAA tournament play for the seventh straight year, this time around it was no easy task.
Overall, the ‘Canes had an impressive season, finishing with a 13-8 record after being eliminated by the Florida State Seminoles in the NCAA Regional. The Hurricanes also earned yet another Big East title coming by default, and Miami got there with wins over tough teams such as Notre Dame, TCU, and Rutgers.
Perhaps the Hurricanes could have achieved more though, if not for an abundance of injuries throughout the year. Those injuries forced Head Coach Brian Getz to rely on a limited number of options many times during the season.
“We’ve done it with basically six guys all year, which is very abnormal for college tennis,” Getz said. “Usually teams will have eight or nine guys and with the schedule we’ve had, I think this season was a success.”
In addition, Miami is a young team built for the future and included six freshmen and sophomores. Faced with the injuries and a lack of experience, the ‘Canes turned to the steady of play of sophomore star Todd Widom. With the help of Widom, Miami was able to achieve what it set out to achieve when the season started.
“Our goal at the beginning of the year was to win the Big East,” Widom said.
Anchoring the team with a 27-9 overall singles record, Widom made certain that Miami reached its objective. The outstanding sophomore had his season end in the NCAA semifinals with a three set loss to the No. 2 player in the country Benedikt Dorsch. Widom earned All-American status for the second consecutive year, but more importantly, he earned the praise of his head coach.
“It was a great run, he was literally inches away from playing for the national title,” Getz said. “I am so proud of Todd, he kept raising his level of play throughout the tournament and proved that he is one of the top five players in the country.”
Though the Hurricanes were done playing tennis before the end of the school year, Widom certainly was not. Widom was named to the ITA-USA All-Star Team, and he and nine other members of the All-Star Team traveled to Japan in June to represent America. A native of Coral Springs, Florida, Widom finished his sophomore campaign ranked 12th nationally.
While the play of Widom certainly set the tone for Miami, the Hurricanes also received solid contribution and senior leadership from Andrew Golub. Golub ended his career as a Hurricane as the No. 2 singles player behind Widom and helped Miami advance in the Big East Tournament with a win against Rutgers. Golub fell short in his final match as a Hurricane with a three-set loss to Florida State’s Romain Jurd.
The Hurricanes ended their season ranked No. 33 in the nation, and with a solid lineup of freshmen and sophomores, Miami should have little trouble reloading and competing for another Big East title next season.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...