UM students volunteer and make a difference

Community service can be addictive. The feeling of seeing the difference students have made in other people’s lives is the most unbelievable feeling around.
The William R. Butler Volunteer Services Center has a lot to offer new students, and this year will be particularly exciting.
The VSC’s mission is to actively promote the inclusion of community service in every facet of the university experience. The center offers students the opportunity to begin community service, or to continue in community service similar to that which they’ve have already done. With a database of more than 450 community agencies, the VSC can connect students to a variety of placements addressing a spectrum of social issues. The center also has a helpful staff to assist in the placement process to help students find the perfect volunteer setting.
The VSC is also home to more than 25 student-run volunteer organizations and programming boards. Their focuses run the whole gamut of service, from poverty and environmental issues to cancer awareness and AIDS/HIV awareness.
Student organizations are always looking for new faces, and many of the organizations will work around student schedules.
The VSC also features a tracking system that helps students keep track of the hours they have volunteered at UM. The center’s staff creates the file, updates the forms and writes letters at the students’ request stating how much and what type of community service they have completed. Students only need to turn in a simple form.
For more information, stop by the Butler Volunteer Services Center in room 240 of the UC, or call 305-284-GIVE.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...