UM students volunteer and make a difference

Community service can be addictive. The feeling of seeing the difference students have made in other people’s lives is the most unbelievable feeling around.
The William R. Butler Volunteer Services Center has a lot to offer new students, and this year will be particularly exciting.
The VSC’s mission is to actively promote the inclusion of community service in every facet of the university experience. The center offers students the opportunity to begin community service, or to continue in community service similar to that which they’ve have already done. With a database of more than 450 community agencies, the VSC can connect students to a variety of placements addressing a spectrum of social issues. The center also has a helpful staff to assist in the placement process to help students find the perfect volunteer setting.
The VSC is also home to more than 25 student-run volunteer organizations and programming boards. Their focuses run the whole gamut of service, from poverty and environmental issues to cancer awareness and AIDS/HIV awareness.
Student organizations are always looking for new faces, and many of the organizations will work around student schedules.
The VSC also features a tracking system that helps students keep track of the hours they have volunteered at UM. The center’s staff creates the file, updates the forms and writes letters at the students’ request stating how much and what type of community service they have completed. Students only need to turn in a simple form.
For more information, stop by the Butler Volunteer Services Center in room 240 of the UC, or call 305-284-GIVE.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...