UM SPEAKS UP : Prominent speakers visit campus

Arthur Levitt: Longest-serving chairman for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, [1993-2001]. He is also an author and has been described as a Wall Street expert.

Russel Simmons: Among his achievements: Founder and CEO of Def Jam Records, creator of Phat Farm clothing line, Def Pictures, Def Comedy Jam, Def Poetry Jam on HBO, Oneworld magazine, and founder of Rush Media Co., an advertising agency. All this, and Simmons remained cool and down-to-earth throughout his visit.

Angela Rae: A well- recognized CBS anchor that worked in Miami before joining the company’s flagship station in the No. 1 market New York.

Lama Zopa Rinpoche: The Spiritual Director of the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition [FPMT], one of the foremost organizations providing the teachings of Tibetan Buddhism in the West. Currently, Rinpoche guides over 130 centers and projects in 31 countries.

Chris Matthews: Host of MSNBC’s Hardball with Chris Matthews who came to UM as part of the show’s College Tour. He is also an author, columnist, and political commentator.

Ra’nan Gissin: The senior advisor to the prime minister of Israel, Ariel Sharon. Gissin spoke about the Palestine-Israeli conflict in the Middle East. His presence sparked protests from several organizations.

Major General Kathryn G. Frost: The highest-ranking woman in the Army and the second highest-ranking in the armed forces. Currently, she is head of the Army and Air Force Exchange Service.

James C. Cason: The associate deputy secretary for the U.S. Department of the Interior and Chief of Missions for U.S. Special Interests in Cuba.

Janet Reno: Miami native that served as the first female attorney general of the U.S. under the Clinton administration. She was also the first woman to serve as a state attorney in a Florida county. Recently, Reno ran for governor of Florida, but was unsuccessful.

Michael J. Fox: Emmy-winning actor and founder of Michael J. Fox Foundation to find a cure for Parkinson’s Disease. In 2002, he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He spoke at the medical graduation at and was awarded the president’s medal by UM President Donna E. Shalala, who sits on the board of Fox’s foundation.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...