UM SPEAKS UP : Prominent speakers visit campus

Arthur Levitt: Longest-serving chairman for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, [1993-2001]. He is also an author and has been described as a Wall Street expert.

Russel Simmons: Among his achievements: Founder and CEO of Def Jam Records, creator of Phat Farm clothing line, Def Pictures, Def Comedy Jam, Def Poetry Jam on HBO, Oneworld magazine, and founder of Rush Media Co., an advertising agency. All this, and Simmons remained cool and down-to-earth throughout his visit.

Angela Rae: A well- recognized CBS anchor that worked in Miami before joining the company’s flagship station in the No. 1 market New York.

Lama Zopa Rinpoche: The Spiritual Director of the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition [FPMT], one of the foremost organizations providing the teachings of Tibetan Buddhism in the West. Currently, Rinpoche guides over 130 centers and projects in 31 countries.

Chris Matthews: Host of MSNBC’s Hardball with Chris Matthews who came to UM as part of the show’s College Tour. He is also an author, columnist, and political commentator.

Ra’nan Gissin: The senior advisor to the prime minister of Israel, Ariel Sharon. Gissin spoke about the Palestine-Israeli conflict in the Middle East. His presence sparked protests from several organizations.

Major General Kathryn G. Frost: The highest-ranking woman in the Army and the second highest-ranking in the armed forces. Currently, she is head of the Army and Air Force Exchange Service.

James C. Cason: The associate deputy secretary for the U.S. Department of the Interior and Chief of Missions for U.S. Special Interests in Cuba.

Janet Reno: Miami native that served as the first female attorney general of the U.S. under the Clinton administration. She was also the first woman to serve as a state attorney in a Florida county. Recently, Reno ran for governor of Florida, but was unsuccessful.

Michael J. Fox: Emmy-winning actor and founder of Michael J. Fox Foundation to find a cure for Parkinson’s Disease. In 2002, he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He spoke at the medical graduation at and was awarded the president’s medal by UM President Donna E. Shalala, who sits on the board of Fox’s foundation.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...