UM ranks high on Princeton Review

The Princeton Review recently ranked UM fifth in the nation for its “great college towns” division and sixth for “most students from different backgrounds interact” categories in a nation-wide ranking of colleges. UM was the only Florida school to be ranked in those categories.
That’s no surprise, since the majority of students interviewed by the First Impression sited diversity and location as their top reasons for choosing UM.
“The University of Miami is indeed a diverse institution with students hailing from more than 110 countries,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, said. “Through a variety of activities both in and out of the classroom, diversity is celebrated and recognized as one of the important values of the University of Miami.”
For the location category, schools were judged by size of the city, beauty of the campus and surrounding areas, climate, and resources available to students.
“The moment I stepped on campus, I was sold,” Aimee Garcia, sophomore, said. “I knew as soon as I saw the palm trees painted across the clear blue sky that this was the school for me.”
In fact, UM has a lush, tropical campus that represents plantlife from hundreds of different areas throughout the world. Students can often be found studying under trees and eating lunch on grassy areas throughout campus.
Needless to say, sunbathing is also a popular pastime at UM.
For the diversity category, schools were judged on the percentage of non-white students enrolled and on how students from different backgrounds interact with one another.
“This campus boasts significant ethnic diversity and, in a nutshell, students say they are part of a receptive and diverse group,” the review said.
According to the report, students at UM describe themselves as “high-energy, fun-loving, friendly, and outgoing” but also feel “fiercely competitive” with one another.
Although some students believe that the diversity of UM is a result of location, most find that UM strives to recruit diverse groups of people from different parts of the U.S. and in many countries throughout the world.
“Yeah, it’s diverse all right,” Jennifer Wright, a sophomore who is from Kentucky, said. “I mean, my roommate is from Hong Kong.”
Many students take pride in the level of diversity on campus.
“I didn’t come here for the diversity, but I appreciate it now that I’ve experienced it,” Shelly Steele, junior, said.
“There are so many opportunities for everyone, no matter what race they are,” Camille Linton, a Jamaican-American student and member of the Union of Black Students, said.
Next year, UM students are looking forward to improving the University’s ranking in the diversity and location categories as well as in other categories.
“I can’t believe that UM wasn’t even mentioned in the school spirit category this year,” Kendrick Ribeiro, a sophomore at Florida Atlantic University, said. “All you have to do is turn on the T.V. during a UM football game or walk around the parking lots on campus-everyone has a UM logo somewhere on their car!”
For a complete listing of the categories and rankings of the Princeton Review, visit www.princetonreview.com/college.

Jacklyn Lisenby and Leigha Taber contributed to this article.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...