UM program molds effective leaders

One of the unique things about UM is it provides its students with the opportunity to participate in many different leadership programs, events and activities that help build strong resumes and professional skills.
The Leadership Institute at UM has been used as a tool by students seeking to improve their leadership goals and abilities. The program offers a Leadership Clearinghouse and Resource Center where students can participate in different programs and workshops. It also offers a library where students may check out different books, audio and videotapes, journals and articles.
Throughout the year, UM offers leadership summits, one-day programs put on by the Leadership Institute. The summits offer various interactive workshops that bring students together to share various leadership ideas.
Every student who attends a summit is automatically put into the Leadership Certificate Program. This 40-hour certification program is designed to allow busy students flexibility and choice while still ensuring a challenging and meaningful experience. Students have the option of choosing between two-hour workshops and weekend leadership training sessions. They can also elect to “transfer” credits from the leadership training not associated with the Institute, such as Greek life training, resident assistant training, orientation leader training, club officer training, and more.
Last semester’s workshops included “Recognizing Your Resources”; “Cross Cultural Awareness”; “Rewards and Recognition”; “Beyond Empowerment”; “Creating a Sense of Ownership” and “Retreat Planning”.
Seniors who have been involved both on and off campus have the option of taking Senior Reflections, a five-week, non-credit course originated by Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs. The course provides an opportunity for students to reflect upon their past leadership roles and share how these experiences have contributed to who they are morally, civically and ethically.
For more in-depth information on the various activities and programs offered by the Leadership Institute, visit http://www.miami.edu/leadership-institute or e-mail them directly at student-activities@miami.edu.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...