Tips to Enhance Adjustment to College Life

1. Learn how to manage your time and money.
2. Prioritize academics; the rule of thumb is at least two hours of study per credit each week.
3. Become engaged in extracurricular activities and/or a part-time job on campus. Active students are usually happier and are better able to take advantage of educational opportunities.
4. Communicate with your family regularly and, if possible, schedule a midterm visit, like Parents Weekend. Expect your relationship with your parents to change.
5. Try to compromise and share with your roommate, when possible.
6. Just in case, purchase a health insurance policy that includes mental health emergencies and ample local coverage.
7. With your new freedom come potential dangers such as drug and alcohol abuse, date rape, and sexually transmitted disease. Educate yourself about these problems this summer so that you can plan what’s best for you before you act.
7. Participate in a systematic, but moderate, exercise program at the Wellness Center. It’s good for the mood. Healthy eating and sufficient sleep also can help.
9. Find a group of friends, including one or two you can trust.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...