RSMAS:where the ocean meets the world

Not many students are aware that UM has a marine school, but the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science [RSMAS] is the university’s graduate school for the marine sciences, as well as one of the premier oceanographic research and education institutions in the nation.
RSMAS is located on a 16-acre campus on Virginia Key in Miami, and is the only subtropical applied and basic marine and atmospheric research institute of its kind in the continental U.S.
With more than 100 Ph.D. faculty members, 150 graduate students and 250 support staff comprising the academic community, there are numerous opportunities for multi-disciplinary research and interaction in applied marine physics, marine and atmospheric chemistry, marine biology and fisheries, marine geology and geophysics, meteorology and physical oceanography, and marine affairs and policy.
There are unique opportunities available for graduate students, such as being a researcher onboard Royal Caribbean’s Explorer of the Seas, the first-ever cruise ship outfitted with high-tech ocean and atmospheric instruments and science labs. Undergraduate students can participate in Rosenstiel’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program, which allows them to experience graduate level research and school. Through excellence in research and education, the Rosenstiel School is helping to further education in the areas of fisheries, oceans and human health, hurricane warnings, climate change and coral reefs.
For more information, visit www.rsmas.miami.edu or call Sacheen Tavares at 305-361-4629.

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...