Research and creativity aboundent at UM

The UM Research and Creativity Forum presents the opportunity for both graduate and undergraduate students representing all of the departments on campus to display their work and be recognized for their achievements.
“It’s an opportunity for students to showcase their work, whether a scientific research study put together with the help of a faculty member, or a creative work,” Dr. Lydia Barza, interdisciplinary studies program specialist who worked to combine the undergraduate and graduate forums, said.
The Graduate Student Association [GSA] first conceived the idea of a research and creativity forum in 1994 to give graduate students an opportunity to display their research to the UM community. This April, the GSA collaborated with the undergraduate student organization Inquiry: The Research Connection, to create a combined research and creativity forum that would serve the entire student body.
Inquiry is designed to encourage undergraduate students to explore research opportunities and has previously held its own forum for undergraduate students.
Jim Fatzinger, director of graduate enrollment, said the forum is beneficial for both graduates and undergraduates.
“We want to give graduates and undergraduates an opportunity to display their work,” Fatzinger said.
The forum is a consecutive two-day event, with the first day involving the display of the work. On the second day, a banquet is held to honor all the students involved and to award the students for their achievements.
This year, the forum introduced 55 undergraduate abstracts, a 50 percent increase from the year before. These numbers, according to Fatzinger, demonstrate the growing interest in the forum from undergraduate students.
Caroline Caperton,an undergraduate student who participated in the Forum, felt that she gained valuable knowledge while conducting her research and participating in the forum.
“I’m amazed at how diverse the subjects of study are at UM, and just how many students, both graduate and undergraduate, are involved in research at such intensive levels,” she said.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...