New Convocation Center is an arena of entertainment

The UM Convocation Center [C-Center] is much more than just a new building on campus. For the first time since the university was founded in 1926, the UM basketball teams now have a home court advantage with this 7,000-seat venue.
UM students and the surrounding neighborhoods also benefit from the multipurpose facility, which brings to their backyard a variety of entertainment, family shows, trade shows and lectures. The highly-anticipated $48 million center opened its doors in January to a sold-out overtime game, UM vs. UNC.
Since it’s the first venue on the UM campus to seat more than 1,000 people, the C-Center has changed the college experience for students, who can now walk to basketball games from class or from their rooms. The facility also serves the campus as the new site for commencement for all schools at UM, which, prior to the completion of the building, were held outdoors on the university green.
“I love going to the basketball games now. The new Convocation Center makes the whole experience better,” Blair Sprout, junior, said. “We used to not go to games just because of how far away they were. Now my friends and I come all the time and just walk back to the dorms after the game.”
Aside from basketball, the C-Center has been the site for several sold-out concerts. The first concert on Jan. 22 featured the popular British rock band Coldplay. In the spring, it hosted the Power 96 Reggae Fest, featuring dance hall sensations Sean Paul and Beanie Man, Wayne Wonder, the Marley Brothers and Inner Circle. Soon, the C-Center will host more events, including concerts, family shows, comedians, lectures and much more.
Students attending events at the C-Center have quickly come to appreciate its many amenities, including concession stands, promotional counters and portable concession stands surrounding the main concourse level. Everything is positioned for easy access from any area of the building to avoid traffic congestion on the concourse level during events. Concessions run from the traditional hot dogs, popcorn and nachos to Papa Johns pizza, Dipping Dots ice cream, chicken sandwiches, and Miami favorites such as empanadas, churros and arepas.
Promotional counters feature T-shirts and UM bookstore items during basketball games, and CDs and concert T-shirts during concerts. The C-Center also has a third-level, consisting of 25 suites, used primarily for meetings and presentations.
“We’re looking forward to bringing events to the University of Miami Convocation Center that will draw the interest of the students and the South Florida community as a whole,” David Touhey, general manager of the UM Convocation Center, said. “We’re working to build a strong relationship with all our neighbors.”
For more information on the C-Center, including employment opportunities, contact 305-284-6376.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...