New Convocation Center is an arena of entertainment

The UM Convocation Center [C-Center] is much more than just a new building on campus. For the first time since the university was founded in 1926, the UM basketball teams now have a home court advantage with this 7,000-seat venue.
UM students and the surrounding neighborhoods also benefit from the multipurpose facility, which brings to their backyard a variety of entertainment, family shows, trade shows and lectures. The highly-anticipated $48 million center opened its doors in January to a sold-out overtime game, UM vs. UNC.
Since it’s the first venue on the UM campus to seat more than 1,000 people, the C-Center has changed the college experience for students, who can now walk to basketball games from class or from their rooms. The facility also serves the campus as the new site for commencement for all schools at UM, which, prior to the completion of the building, were held outdoors on the university green.
“I love going to the basketball games now. The new Convocation Center makes the whole experience better,” Blair Sprout, junior, said. “We used to not go to games just because of how far away they were. Now my friends and I come all the time and just walk back to the dorms after the game.”
Aside from basketball, the C-Center has been the site for several sold-out concerts. The first concert on Jan. 22 featured the popular British rock band Coldplay. In the spring, it hosted the Power 96 Reggae Fest, featuring dance hall sensations Sean Paul and Beanie Man, Wayne Wonder, the Marley Brothers and Inner Circle. Soon, the C-Center will host more events, including concerts, family shows, comedians, lectures and much more.
Students attending events at the C-Center have quickly come to appreciate its many amenities, including concession stands, promotional counters and portable concession stands surrounding the main concourse level. Everything is positioned for easy access from any area of the building to avoid traffic congestion on the concourse level during events. Concessions run from the traditional hot dogs, popcorn and nachos to Papa Johns pizza, Dipping Dots ice cream, chicken sandwiches, and Miami favorites such as empanadas, churros and arepas.
Promotional counters feature T-shirts and UM bookstore items during basketball games, and CDs and concert T-shirts during concerts. The C-Center also has a third-level, consisting of 25 suites, used primarily for meetings and presentations.
“We’re looking forward to bringing events to the University of Miami Convocation Center that will draw the interest of the students and the South Florida community as a whole,” David Touhey, general manager of the UM Convocation Center, said. “We’re working to build a strong relationship with all our neighbors.”
For more information on the C-Center, including employment opportunities, contact 305-284-6376.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...