New Convocation Center is an arena of entertainment

The UM Convocation Center [C-Center] is much more than just a new building on campus. For the first time since the university was founded in 1926, the UM basketball teams now have a home court advantage with this 7,000-seat venue.
UM students and the surrounding neighborhoods also benefit from the multipurpose facility, which brings to their backyard a variety of entertainment, family shows, trade shows and lectures. The highly-anticipated $48 million center opened its doors in January to a sold-out overtime game, UM vs. UNC.
Since it’s the first venue on the UM campus to seat more than 1,000 people, the C-Center has changed the college experience for students, who can now walk to basketball games from class or from their rooms. The facility also serves the campus as the new site for commencement for all schools at UM, which, prior to the completion of the building, were held outdoors on the university green.
“I love going to the basketball games now. The new Convocation Center makes the whole experience better,” Blair Sprout, junior, said. “We used to not go to games just because of how far away they were. Now my friends and I come all the time and just walk back to the dorms after the game.”
Aside from basketball, the C-Center has been the site for several sold-out concerts. The first concert on Jan. 22 featured the popular British rock band Coldplay. In the spring, it hosted the Power 96 Reggae Fest, featuring dance hall sensations Sean Paul and Beanie Man, Wayne Wonder, the Marley Brothers and Inner Circle. Soon, the C-Center will host more events, including concerts, family shows, comedians, lectures and much more.
Students attending events at the C-Center have quickly come to appreciate its many amenities, including concession stands, promotional counters and portable concession stands surrounding the main concourse level. Everything is positioned for easy access from any area of the building to avoid traffic congestion on the concourse level during events. Concessions run from the traditional hot dogs, popcorn and nachos to Papa Johns pizza, Dipping Dots ice cream, chicken sandwiches, and Miami favorites such as empanadas, churros and arepas.
Promotional counters feature T-shirts and UM bookstore items during basketball games, and CDs and concert T-shirts during concerts. The C-Center also has a third-level, consisting of 25 suites, used primarily for meetings and presentations.
“We’re looking forward to bringing events to the University of Miami Convocation Center that will draw the interest of the students and the South Florida community as a whole,” David Touhey, general manager of the UM Convocation Center, said. “We’re working to build a strong relationship with all our neighbors.”
For more information on the C-Center, including employment opportunities, contact 305-284-6376.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...