New Convocation Center is an arena of entertainment

The UM Convocation Center [C-Center] is much more than just a new building on campus. For the first time since the university was founded in 1926, the UM basketball teams now have a home court advantage with this 7,000-seat venue.
UM students and the surrounding neighborhoods also benefit from the multipurpose facility, which brings to their backyard a variety of entertainment, family shows, trade shows and lectures. The highly-anticipated $48 million center opened its doors in January to a sold-out overtime game, UM vs. UNC.
Since it’s the first venue on the UM campus to seat more than 1,000 people, the C-Center has changed the college experience for students, who can now walk to basketball games from class or from their rooms. The facility also serves the campus as the new site for commencement for all schools at UM, which, prior to the completion of the building, were held outdoors on the university green.
“I love going to the basketball games now. The new Convocation Center makes the whole experience better,” Blair Sprout, junior, said. “We used to not go to games just because of how far away they were. Now my friends and I come all the time and just walk back to the dorms after the game.”
Aside from basketball, the C-Center has been the site for several sold-out concerts. The first concert on Jan. 22 featured the popular British rock band Coldplay. In the spring, it hosted the Power 96 Reggae Fest, featuring dance hall sensations Sean Paul and Beanie Man, Wayne Wonder, the Marley Brothers and Inner Circle. Soon, the C-Center will host more events, including concerts, family shows, comedians, lectures and much more.
Students attending events at the C-Center have quickly come to appreciate its many amenities, including concession stands, promotional counters and portable concession stands surrounding the main concourse level. Everything is positioned for easy access from any area of the building to avoid traffic congestion on the concourse level during events. Concessions run from the traditional hot dogs, popcorn and nachos to Papa Johns pizza, Dipping Dots ice cream, chicken sandwiches, and Miami favorites such as empanadas, churros and arepas.
Promotional counters feature T-shirts and UM bookstore items during basketball games, and CDs and concert T-shirts during concerts. The C-Center also has a third-level, consisting of 25 suites, used primarily for meetings and presentations.
“We’re looking forward to bringing events to the University of Miami Convocation Center that will draw the interest of the students and the South Florida community as a whole,” David Touhey, general manager of the UM Convocation Center, said. “We’re working to build a strong relationship with all our neighbors.”
For more information on the C-Center, including employment opportunities, contact 305-284-6376.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...