Men’s swim program concludes final year

The Hurricane swimming and diving programs were able to overcome the looming elimination of the men’s team to have one of their best seasons in recent memory.
The men’s diving team was led by Miguel Velazquez, who was named an All-American for the second year in a row. The Gulliver Prep graduate was the only men’s diver to compete in the NCAA Championships, where he placed 10th in the platform dive and fourth in the three-meter dive.
Diving coach Randy Ableman has been impressed with what he’s seen from Velazquez, who should be a key factor in the program’s success next year.
“I was pleased particularly in Miguel’s three-meter performance at the NCAAs,” Ableman said. “He’s getting better and we’re making big plans for next year.”
The women divers were led by Katie Beth Bryant, whom Ableman refers to as the “best athlete in the school.”
The women’s swim team had a promising run in both the Big East and national competitions. For the second year in a row, junior Manon van Rooijen powered the squad, as she was the only ‘Cane to swim in the NCAAs.
Van Rooijen finished 13th overall in the 100-yard freestyle, and holds both the University of Miami and Big East Championship records in the 100 and 200-yard freestyle.
No stranger to international competition, the Dutch swimmer won a silver medal in the relay at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia. Van Rooijen hopes to return to the Summer Games in 2004.
Another ‘Canes swimmer with Olympic aspirations is recent graduate Elaine Schwartz. Schwartz recorded two top-five finishes at the Big East Championships.
At the present time, Schwartz is debating whether or not to make a run at the 2004 Olympics.
“The Olympics have always been a dream since I was little, but right now I am not sure,” Schwartz said. “I will have to see how my training goes this summer.”
The season of the swimmers and divers is even more remarkable given that the ‘Canes were in one of the toughest conferences in the nation. Perennial powerhouses Notre Dame and Rutgers are two of the top programs in the country, and the ‘Canes were able to stick right there with them.
Swimming coach James Sweeney feels the Big East is a conference on the rise and deserves more recognition for the programs it has produced.
“The Big East is the most improved conference in the nation,” Sweeney said. “It will be critical for us to keep up with all of the other schools in the conference that continually improve.”
The Hurricanes will have a different look next year without the men’s swimming program, but the squad as a whole return Velazquez, Van Rooijen, and several other athletes that hope to follow their example.
Van Rooijen sums up the team’s goals adequately.
“Just keep improving,” Van Rooijen said. “We compete in a great conference and we can’t stop working for one minute.”

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...