Lets get physical: The Wellness Center

Since it can be difficult for busy and active students to maintain a healthy lifestyle, UM’s Wellness Center assists students in reaching their optimum level of health and wellness throughout their stressful years in college.
There are numerous things students can do at the Wellness Center, no matter what their interests or schedules are. To get into the center, students will need to present their Cane Cards, which they receive once they’re enrolled.
The Wellness Center offers exciting personal development classes such as yoga, dance, studio cycling and aerobics.
Laura Gibreal, a UM alumna, often takes advantage of the campus facility. “I enjoyed the classes they had to offer in the Wellness Center, because they’re challenging and fun,” she said.
After a hard workout, students can visit the juice bar, spa, sauna or the George Smathers Courtyard to relax. Those who are more adventurous may choose to take an instructional kitchen class which gives “hands on” experience with new foods. This program is open to students, faculty, staff, alumni and members in the community.
“The Wellness Center is a nice place,” Bryan Bindman, senior, said. “I’m amazed on how much it has to offer.”
The Wellness Center also offers work-study job opportunities and is the largest student employer on the Coral Gables campus.
Patricia Swift, assistant director of the Wellness Center, said “there are many opportunities to meet new people working here at the Wellness Center.”
Mandy Gad, a graduate student who teaches salsa in the Wellness Center agrees. “I like the environment,” she said. “You get the opportunity to work with young and friendly people.”
Students are also able to develop a healthy lifestyle with the programs offered in the Wellness Center.
Canes Health Assessment and Motivation Program [CHAMP] is a program in which students receive fitness evaluations and complete a lifestyle questionnaire. This program provides a personal fitness plan and helps students accomplish their goals. There is also a six-week “Be Smoke Free” program to help students develop healthy smoke-free habits.
Students can also receive nutritional counseling for $20.The nutrition educators in the Wellness Center are certified American Council Exercise Lifestyle and Weight Management consultants who can break down the percentage of fat in a student’s daily diet and can offer healthy eating habits.
There are also many group activities in which students can participate. Two of the most popular are intramural sports leagues and Sports Fest, held in March. During Sports Fest, residence halls and off campus apartment-dwellers compete against each other in numerous sports. At the end of the weekend, organizers tally points to see which teams have won.
“Take advantage of all the school has to offer. There are not many people who have this wonderful opportunity to stay healthy and fit,” Gibreals aid. “The Wellness Center is an experience that can change your whole lifestyle forever; it has made me a healthier person.”
The Wellness Center is open Monday-Thursday from 6:30 a.m. to midnight, Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
To schedule an appointment with the CHAMP program, call 305-284-LIFE. For more information, call 305-284-8500.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...