Leaders follow the beating of drums

When people wearing Miccosukee Indian jackets beat the ritual drum on the Rock Iron Arrow Mound in front of the UC, everyone on campus knows that the Iron Arrow Honor Society, UM’s oldest tradition and highest honor, has accepted new members.
Maintaining tradition is the focus behind this esteemed organization, from its beginnings in 1926 by UM’s first president, Bowman Foster Ashe, and nine students, just one month after the University opened.
“There are five criteria that need to be met in order to be accepted into Iron Arrow,” said Cie Chapel, chief of Iron Arrow. “They are scholarship, leadership, humility, character, and love for alma mater.”
According to Chapel, the fifth female chief in the history of the organization, only students can be officers, and there are many rituals that are kept secret amongst the tribe. Induction into Iron Arrow is known as tapping, a ritual that involves marking the foreheads of tappees with orange, white, and green stripes.
Every inductee into Iron Arrow has a different initiation story.
Joseph Fernandez, senior, was tapped in his Finance 431 class in the School of Business. “The amazing part is that my class is on the fifth floor, so it’s sort of amazing to see everyone there, knowing they had to climb five stories to come get me,” he said. “Needless to say, I had no idea who they were getting in my class when they walked in. When they came and grabbed me, I was shocked and a bit confused. It still really hasn’t hit me.”
Stefanie Hernandez had a completely different experience. “I was told that I had an emergency meeting regarding all senate projects and legislation that have occurred within the last year,” she said. “I figured it was important because I was called the night before and told that it was very important because President Shalala had asked for an emergency meeting to discuss Student Government.”
Hernandez said she woke up at 7a.m. to make it to the Ashe Building by 9a.m. “As I was walking on the pathway to the Ashe Building, rushing and clanking my heels with my hands full of important documents, I had to walk right by the Iron Arrow line, which was on its way to tap me,” she said. “I had no idea, but I remember feeling embarrassed that my heels were clanking in the middle of their procession.
“I was shocked for most of the tapping,” Hernandez said. “I felt honored, humbled and proud.”
Once an individual is inducted into Iron arrow, he or she is a member for life.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...