Improvements make parking on campus convenient

Most students will agree that parking at any university can be a big headache but, with UM’s Parking Management Plan, those days may be over.
UM’s Parking Management Committee has provided a plan to accommodate students and faculty. This plan was implemented in March 2002 and, according to Charles W. McConnell, director of parking and transportation services, the project is essentially completed.
This project includes the construction of new surface and garage parking spaces, which will have 1,600 additional parking spaces.
The Ponce de Leon parking garage, located at 5665 Ponce de Leon Blvd., near the Mark Light Stadium, was recently under construction. Two additional floors with 424 additional spaces have been added. The Ponce garage now has a total of 1,052 spaces and has been converted from standard to discount parking.
There has also been construction of both the Pavia Garage, near the Health Center, and the Mahoney/Pearson Garage adjacent to the residence hall. Both garages have security facilities, information booths and blue light emergency phones.
However, the garages have come with a price tag.
“The cost of permits will increase by eight percent next year,” McConnell said. Discount parking permits are available for students, faculty and employees and will be $200 annually. The standard student, employee or faculty parking permit is $298.
Although discount parking permits are available on a first-come, first-served basis, the Parking Management Plan has provided more convenient parking so that students and faculty can save money.
UM also provides the Hurry’Cane Shuttle during the fall and spring semesters and is available to students, faculty, staff and visitors free of charge.
“In the future, we are looking into modifying shuttle routes and having more shuttle shelters,” McConnell said.
“Even though parking gets frustrating on campus, UM has provided different alternatives and options to get around,” Chaunielle Brown, junior, said.
The Parking Department and WVUM-FM 90.5 [UM’s student-run radio station] also provide a parking lot update available hourly on the half hour between 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on class days.
While visiting the campus, visitors can get a temporary visitor parking pass in the lobby of the Ponce Garage or near the elevator at the new Pavia Garage from a vending machine. Visitors can also purchase a pass at the Info Desk in the UC; these passes are available for $5 a day.
To obtain a permit for parking go online to http://easy.miami.edu. On the site, there is an application and permit information. Permits are also sold in the parking office on campus beginning in early August and throughout the rest of the year.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...