For Honor Council, honesty is the policy

The members of the Honor Council are on a mission to stimulate honesty and accountability amongst the student body by making students aware of the seriousness of the Honor Code on the UM campus.
“It is important to be a person of integrity, not only in the classroom, but also in life,” Roberto Castro, last year’s vice-president of the Honor Council, said.
According to members, there are approximately 44 violations a year that result in anything from a warning, to ethics workshops at the Academic Development Center, to expulsion.
Primarily, the Honor Code is set up to protect students from cheating, plagiarism, collusion, and academic dishonesty, which can hurt their level of education and affect their job performance later in life. If there is any doubt whether a student has committed a violation, a written complaint is filed and if enough evidence is collected, a hearing is scheduled by members of the Honor Council to determine if an infraction has taken place.
Disciplinary action varies with each case.
“We present ourselves as friendly and we want the best for students and the value of our degree to reflect the hard work we put into it,” Castro said.
Many students appreciate the efforts of the Honor Council and understand the importance of the regulations.
“The Honor Council makes it almost impossible for someone to cheat or break the code in general with out it bothering their conscience,” Astin Hayes, freshman, said.
For more information about the Honor Council or the Honor Code, visit http://www.miami.edu/honor-council.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...