For Honor Council, honesty is the policy

The members of the Honor Council are on a mission to stimulate honesty and accountability amongst the student body by making students aware of the seriousness of the Honor Code on the UM campus.
“It is important to be a person of integrity, not only in the classroom, but also in life,” Roberto Castro, last year’s vice-president of the Honor Council, said.
According to members, there are approximately 44 violations a year that result in anything from a warning, to ethics workshops at the Academic Development Center, to expulsion.
Primarily, the Honor Code is set up to protect students from cheating, plagiarism, collusion, and academic dishonesty, which can hurt their level of education and affect their job performance later in life. If there is any doubt whether a student has committed a violation, a written complaint is filed and if enough evidence is collected, a hearing is scheduled by members of the Honor Council to determine if an infraction has taken place.
Disciplinary action varies with each case.
“We present ourselves as friendly and we want the best for students and the value of our degree to reflect the hard work we put into it,” Castro said.
Many students appreciate the efforts of the Honor Council and understand the importance of the regulations.
“The Honor Council makes it almost impossible for someone to cheat or break the code in general with out it bothering their conscience,” Astin Hayes, freshman, said.
For more information about the Honor Council or the Honor Code, visit http://www.miami.edu/honor-council.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...