Employment opportunities abound on campus

MIAMI
Working on campus afford opportunity to get experiences they can have outside the classroom
Message is need to give that through working they can get good experiences. They need to give that dome thought’
Jobs not necessarily major-related, but will learn skills that they can apply to their careers.
No longer will a 4.0 goagpa land you a good job. Have to prove you’ve been exposed to working, developed interpersonal skills; wonderful thing about working at um is it exposes you to world of diversity on the job. Regardless of whether you work on campus or off campus.
Not need-based.
MC jobs and students are matched
Working off campus
Strongly suggest freshmen start working on campus with their schedule s that gives them flexibility. adapting to new life and employers know that.
On campus programs: UM is unique in that it doesn’t provide just one program – realizes students come in with different backgrounds, goals and with that in mind students can choose what they want to do. Mc program is designed for freshmen that have already had some experiences in working, and want to continue to develop skills and want to take responsibilities and accept commitment.
All freshmen are invited to participate
Based on info they receive they choose to apply deadline is June 15
Selection committee looks at applicants and selects them that have self-reported desire to develop skills and a desire to get job to get more reasonability than typical student job. And willingness to attend professional workshops and other support services.
Only freshmen are invited to participate because nature of program is to track skill development throughout the four years.
After 12 years program has won two national awards one from Sallie Mae and the other (to come)
At this point MC is working to find your match with employers that have requested a student like you. You’ll be receiving your referral very shortly. Need to come to orientation (look in orientation booklet or online) For MC students; you’ll probably already have contacted your employer. For other students we recommend they get here on campus and start making phone calls for prospective employers once they have their class schedules.
Advisor is Susie Picar MC coordinator
FEDERAL
Different option
Largest program is FWSP avail to students who qualify through financial aid. Biggest program on and off campus oppsortunities available. Lots of flexibility with student schedules. Aim of the program is to afford student additional finances to attend the university, doesn’t mean it doesn’t provide good career development oppsortunities as well.
Some MC students qualify for FWSP. Considered one job a MXC job funded through FWSP.
This is need based.
Program works for students who just need a job work a few hours typically between 10-15 hours, students look for jobs on their own through EASY web site or bulletin board outside office of student employment 37K.
Student Assistant
For students who didn’t apply or get accepted to MC and for those who don’t qualify for FWSP, there are jobs posted under the student assistant program. Mostly temporary jobs if on campus but are also opportunities off campus in jobs that are usually close enough to the university so students can get there by walking r using public transportation. Jobs are posted on EASY system for this.

All programs need to bring these documents:
Very important to bring documents from home as you get ready to get a job. Most students can bring in social security card AND picture ID, like a driver’s license OR US passport or alien registration card, very important you bring that.

Ariana Ramil, student employment advisor for other two.
Maria Pavon associate director will help with off campus opportunities.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...