An opportunity too good to PASS up

The first few days on campus are a flurry of activity for incoming freshmen and transfer students as they register for classes, take care of last-minute financial aid details, move into housing, and begin orientation sessions.
Both new and transfer students are treated to a very thorough orientation program which serves to introduce them not only to UM’s academic expectations, but also to give insight into extracurricular opportunities as well. By the time the orientation activities come to a close, most students have a pretty good understanding of UM’s campus culture.
However, despite the thoroughness of orientation, questions frequently arise during subsequent weeks. To address this issue, UM has created a program called Pathways to Achieving Student Success, or PASS. PASS is a weeklong series of workshops designed as a way of continuing the orientation process.
This year, PASS Week begins on Sunday, Sept. 21; far enough into the semester to know what questions students need to have answered, yet early enough so that tips on achieving academic and social success can be put into action.
PASS Week offers support for the varying needs of undergraduate students through a variety of workshops, from suggestions for freshman about how to get to know their professors to advice for seniors about preparing for life after graduation. Workshops are developed and led by student leaders, faculty, and staff throughout campus. Last year, workshops introduced both new and continuing undergraduates to a variety of subjects ranging from academics to student wellness.
As an added incentive, students who participate in PASS Week are eligible for a variety of prizes donated by local businesses. Last year prizes such as CD players, books and gift certificates to popular local restaurants and attractions were raffled. Additionally, STA Travel, the on-campus travel agency, has donated a number of travel vouchers as well as a round-trip ticket to Europe.
Be sure to watch for PASS Week advertising for further details about upcoming workshops and available prizes. For additional information, contact Dr. Linda Saumell, director of the Academic Development Center, at 305-284-2800 or via e-mail at lsaumell@miami.edu. Or contact Pam Fischl, assistant to the vice president of Enrollment Management and Continuing Studies, at pfischl@miami.edu or 305-284-5456.

Pass Week 2002
* Time Management
* Overcoming Test Anxiety
* Communicating with
Professors
* Study Techniques
* Advice for Undecided Majors
* Campus Involvement
* High Profile Scholarships and Internships
* Applying for Grad School
* Career Counseling
* Roommate Issues
* Yoga
* Financial Forums

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...