An opportunity too good to PASS up

The first few days on campus are a flurry of activity for incoming freshmen and transfer students as they register for classes, take care of last-minute financial aid details, move into housing, and begin orientation sessions.
Both new and transfer students are treated to a very thorough orientation program which serves to introduce them not only to UM’s academic expectations, but also to give insight into extracurricular opportunities as well. By the time the orientation activities come to a close, most students have a pretty good understanding of UM’s campus culture.
However, despite the thoroughness of orientation, questions frequently arise during subsequent weeks. To address this issue, UM has created a program called Pathways to Achieving Student Success, or PASS. PASS is a weeklong series of workshops designed as a way of continuing the orientation process.
This year, PASS Week begins on Sunday, Sept. 21; far enough into the semester to know what questions students need to have answered, yet early enough so that tips on achieving academic and social success can be put into action.
PASS Week offers support for the varying needs of undergraduate students through a variety of workshops, from suggestions for freshman about how to get to know their professors to advice for seniors about preparing for life after graduation. Workshops are developed and led by student leaders, faculty, and staff throughout campus. Last year, workshops introduced both new and continuing undergraduates to a variety of subjects ranging from academics to student wellness.
As an added incentive, students who participate in PASS Week are eligible for a variety of prizes donated by local businesses. Last year prizes such as CD players, books and gift certificates to popular local restaurants and attractions were raffled. Additionally, STA Travel, the on-campus travel agency, has donated a number of travel vouchers as well as a round-trip ticket to Europe.
Be sure to watch for PASS Week advertising for further details about upcoming workshops and available prizes. For additional information, contact Dr. Linda Saumell, director of the Academic Development Center, at 305-284-2800 or via e-mail at lsaumell@miami.edu. Or contact Pam Fischl, assistant to the vice president of Enrollment Management and Continuing Studies, at pfischl@miami.edu or 305-284-5456.

Pass Week 2002
* Time Management
* Overcoming Test Anxiety
* Communicating with
Professors
* Study Techniques
* Advice for Undecided Majors
* Campus Involvement
* High Profile Scholarships and Internships
* Applying for Grad School
* Career Counseling
* Roommate Issues
* Yoga
* Financial Forums

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...