Academic resources offer free services

Since academics is a top priority for all students at UM, the university has developed several learning centers with programs and professionals that help students develop valuable study and test-taking skills. One of the first places that most students turn to is the Academic Development Center.
Every year, hundreds of students take advantage of these free services and improve their academic standing at UM. The center offers a variety of free, easily accessible resources designed to help students take charge of their academic lives and succeed at UM. Services include peer tutoring in a wide range of subjects and assistance with study skills.
Located within the center is the Office of Disability Services, which serves as the primary university office responsible for the coordination of auxiliary aids and services for students and employees with disabilities. Some services of the ODS include priority registration, letters to instructors outlining accommodation needs, note takers, testing accommodations and assistance with accessibility issues.
All services are available to prospective and enrolled students, their parents and/or sponsors, faculty and staff.
Also located within the ADC is the Reading and Study Skills Center, which provides individualized assistance to help students improve textbook reading skills and maximize overall learning efficiency. Students also learn about time management, note-taking skills and test preparation. Seminars and workshops in the Reading and Study Skills Center are open to all UM students.
Another useful academic resource is the Writing Center, a tutorial center for student writers who want to work one-on-one with writing consultants. Many students take advantage of this service, especially for English or writing-intensive courses. In the Writing Center, writing practitioners help novice writers tap into their ideas, jump start writing projects, structure manuscripts, organize research data, document sources and use standard English grammar and appropriate punctuation. The Writing Center also acts as a liaison between students and instructors, aiding in communication between the two and assisting students in meeting specific assignments and general expectations.
Students are encouraged to take advantage of all of the options and resources available to them. For more information on the Academic Development Center, call 305-284-2800, and for more information on the Writing Center, call 305-284-2956.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...