Academic resources offer free services

Since academics is a top priority for all students at UM, the university has developed several learning centers with programs and professionals that help students develop valuable study and test-taking skills. One of the first places that most students turn to is the Academic Development Center.
Every year, hundreds of students take advantage of these free services and improve their academic standing at UM. The center offers a variety of free, easily accessible resources designed to help students take charge of their academic lives and succeed at UM. Services include peer tutoring in a wide range of subjects and assistance with study skills.
Located within the center is the Office of Disability Services, which serves as the primary university office responsible for the coordination of auxiliary aids and services for students and employees with disabilities. Some services of the ODS include priority registration, letters to instructors outlining accommodation needs, note takers, testing accommodations and assistance with accessibility issues.
All services are available to prospective and enrolled students, their parents and/or sponsors, faculty and staff.
Also located within the ADC is the Reading and Study Skills Center, which provides individualized assistance to help students improve textbook reading skills and maximize overall learning efficiency. Students also learn about time management, note-taking skills and test preparation. Seminars and workshops in the Reading and Study Skills Center are open to all UM students.
Another useful academic resource is the Writing Center, a tutorial center for student writers who want to work one-on-one with writing consultants. Many students take advantage of this service, especially for English or writing-intensive courses. In the Writing Center, writing practitioners help novice writers tap into their ideas, jump start writing projects, structure manuscripts, organize research data, document sources and use standard English grammar and appropriate punctuation. The Writing Center also acts as a liaison between students and instructors, aiding in communication between the two and assisting students in meeting specific assignments and general expectations.
Students are encouraged to take advantage of all of the options and resources available to them. For more information on the Academic Development Center, call 305-284-2800, and for more information on the Writing Center, call 305-284-2956.

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...