Academic resources offer free services

Since academics is a top priority for all students at UM, the university has developed several learning centers with programs and professionals that help students develop valuable study and test-taking skills. One of the first places that most students turn to is the Academic Development Center.
Every year, hundreds of students take advantage of these free services and improve their academic standing at UM. The center offers a variety of free, easily accessible resources designed to help students take charge of their academic lives and succeed at UM. Services include peer tutoring in a wide range of subjects and assistance with study skills.
Located within the center is the Office of Disability Services, which serves as the primary university office responsible for the coordination of auxiliary aids and services for students and employees with disabilities. Some services of the ODS include priority registration, letters to instructors outlining accommodation needs, note takers, testing accommodations and assistance with accessibility issues.
All services are available to prospective and enrolled students, their parents and/or sponsors, faculty and staff.
Also located within the ADC is the Reading and Study Skills Center, which provides individualized assistance to help students improve textbook reading skills and maximize overall learning efficiency. Students also learn about time management, note-taking skills and test preparation. Seminars and workshops in the Reading and Study Skills Center are open to all UM students.
Another useful academic resource is the Writing Center, a tutorial center for student writers who want to work one-on-one with writing consultants. Many students take advantage of this service, especially for English or writing-intensive courses. In the Writing Center, writing practitioners help novice writers tap into their ideas, jump start writing projects, structure manuscripts, organize research data, document sources and use standard English grammar and appropriate punctuation. The Writing Center also acts as a liaison between students and instructors, aiding in communication between the two and assisting students in meeting specific assignments and general expectations.
Students are encouraged to take advantage of all of the options and resources available to them. For more information on the Academic Development Center, call 305-284-2800, and for more information on the Writing Center, call 305-284-2956.

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...