A Farewell to Mike:SG President leaves lasting legacy

As the 2003 academic year nears an end, Mike Johnston nears the end of his Student Government presidency. He leaves with a long list of accomplishments and the satisfaction that under his leadership UM was named Best SG for Private Colleges in the state of Florida by Florida Leader Magazine.
“This award has eluded our school for years. We always came in second,”
Johnston said. “When I found out I was really happy, and it was a great way of ending
out the year.”
Over the past year, as a result of SG efforts, several improvements to the UM campus have been made including establishing 24/7 convenience store hours, increasing Ibis Ride shuttle service, extending Wellness Center and Chartwell’s hours of operation, incorporating a crepe vendor by the UC and installing ice machines in the residence halls.
More recently, students have received HBO and additional cable channels in the residence halls.
“This year our projects have truly been student-centered,” Johnston said, adding that he focused on the details that would make the campus better. “No project or issue was too big or too small.
“My personal philosophy is to always follow through with what you say you are going to do,” he said. “Never say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ without knowing if you can do it.”
Johnston says that getting involved on campus has enriched his collegiate career.
“The University of Miami has been my home, and I will never forget how much I have learned or the friends that I made. That is the key to college.”

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...