A Farewell to Mike:SG President leaves lasting legacy

As the 2003 academic year nears an end, Mike Johnston nears the end of his Student Government presidency. He leaves with a long list of accomplishments and the satisfaction that under his leadership UM was named Best SG for Private Colleges in the state of Florida by Florida Leader Magazine.
“This award has eluded our school for years. We always came in second,”
Johnston said. “When I found out I was really happy, and it was a great way of ending
out the year.”
Over the past year, as a result of SG efforts, several improvements to the UM campus have been made including establishing 24/7 convenience store hours, increasing Ibis Ride shuttle service, extending Wellness Center and Chartwell’s hours of operation, incorporating a crepe vendor by the UC and installing ice machines in the residence halls.
More recently, students have received HBO and additional cable channels in the residence halls.
“This year our projects have truly been student-centered,” Johnston said, adding that he focused on the details that would make the campus better. “No project or issue was too big or too small.
“My personal philosophy is to always follow through with what you say you are going to do,” he said. “Never say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ without knowing if you can do it.”
Johnston says that getting involved on campus has enriched his collegiate career.
“The University of Miami has been my home, and I will never forget how much I have learned or the friends that I made. That is the key to college.”

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...