Bermudez’ art exhibit at the Lowe lacks emotion, but is aesthetically exciting

Spicy cigars, intoxicating coffee, balmy weather – along with this collection of distinguished Cuban exports is master painter Cundo Bermudez. An homage to Bermudez, A Life in Art, is handily on campus at the Lowe Art Museum this month and celebrates his over 60 years worth of contributions to the art world.

Now 88 years old, the Havana resident continues to find solace in his art: “I enjoy painting as Mozart used to enjoy music,” he has said on several occasions. This month’s exhibit at the Lowe presents more than 50 original works by Bermudez, dating from the 1940s to the present.

Every work echoes trademarks of Bermudez’ work: large noses, stocky figures and a captivating use of light that creates a metallic effect on ribbons of color. Unfortunately, many of the pieces seem to be lacking emotion. There’s no magic in the genre scenes. While they are intended to be simple portraits of everyday events, the faces of the characters are expressionless.

Cuba confirms itself in Bermudez’ style. He employs thick brush strokes that bring out the best of the dark, punchy colors. There is no place for pastels among zesty reds, searing blues and warm golden tones.

The unorthodox Juliet in “Romeo and Juliet” is chunky and androgynous, embracing her secret lover over a vibrant garden. “Trio” shows three shadowy, Cycladic-like figures holding musical instruments. In “El Billar,” three men enjoy a game of billiards against a tropical backdrop. “Screen,” a mirrored quadtych, is duly impressive, featuring a carved wood border framing Bermudez’ trademark bright paintings.

In “Couple,” a pair sits on opposite sides of a canvas, sporting what seem to be aqua-colored turbans. “The Flora” deviates from Bermudez’ typical genre scenes with an attractive plant motif that exudes the transparent, multi-colored quality of stained glass.

The standout here however is “Portrait of Gloria Martinez” from 1976, featuring a sultry brown-haired beauty, the golden glow of her skin enhanced by Bermudez’ warm yellow background.

Bermudez’ Picasso-like angles and geometric figures as well as his passionate use of color in the scenery all create a compelling atmosphere. It’s a shame that there is no underlying emotional tone in this collection – though perhaps it’s just a matter of personal taste.

A Life in Art runs through June 1st at the Lowe Art Museum, 1301 Stanford Drive. Call 305-284-3535 for more info.

Jessica Misener can be reached at jessm02@yahoo.com

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...