UM immersed in Three Days of Cuban Culture

Organizers hope to inspire unity among generations young & old
Cuban Cubanismo [Cuban pride] spread when the Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos [FEC], recently named Organization of the Year, hosted Three Days of Cuban Culture, a series of events that showcased Cuban cultures and traditions to anyone who was interested.
“We all have a common link and that’s tradition,” Cristina Arriaza, vice-president and coordinator of the events, said. “All of this is coordinated by the middle generations, linking the older and younger generations. Although time progresses, traditions do remain.”
“The times have changed, but our traditions remain,” Robert Castro, outgoing FEC president, said.
Participants agreed with Arriaza’s sentiments.
“It was nice introducing how kids are a part of the culture and how they are keeping the roots alive,” Ivette Landestoy, senior, said.
Beyond linking various generations, the events helped to showcase the various facets of Cuba.
“We want to familiarize people who aren’t aware of Cuban culture through every aspect – food, dance and traditions,” Arriaza said. “We want to increase awareness so that maybe we can dispel stereotypes and so that any misconceptions will be clarified.”
The opening ceremonies included Salsa dancers from the UM Salsa Craze, which also offers Salsa lessons throughout the semester, and a domino competition on the UC patio, in which students played against legendary domino players from Calle Ocho Park.
Several students mentioned that they liked the music provided by Tropical Paradise, an Afro-Cuban band, that contributed to the ambiance of the events.
Amanda Hoyos, sophomore, was one of the students who moved to the music.
“I think this is great,” she said. “I love this kind of music.”
Students were also treated to samples of Cuban coffee from Pilon and guava pastries, plantain chips and Cuban fried chicken from Islas Canaria’s Restaurant and Gilbert’s Bakery. Other sponsors of the event included Transatlantic Bank, Patio and Things and Student Government.
Ulises Perez, a graduate student, thought the event was not only a great celebration, but also a good study break.
“I needed a break from everything,” Perez said. “I like what they are doing and I think that they should do it more often.”
Day three of Cubanismo included a cooking lesson in the Breezeway showing students how to make a traditional Cuban meal and letting them sample it. A panel discussion regarding the documentary Made in Cuba: Children of Paradise, which examines the human rights of the children in Cuba, followed in the evening.
“The video was very informative,” Irene Ricano, senior, said. “I remember hearing my mom talk about how Cuba was but I never really listened. When I saw the video I saw the struggles that she had through other people’s perspective. It shows that the whole island is going through so much trouble.”
Arriaza encourages students to continue to celebrate Cuban culture year-round including visiting the Cuban Heritage Collection, located in the Richter Library, which is the largest collection of Cuban documents and artifacts outside of Cuba. Also, Casa Bacardi, which hosts various Cuban cultural events and exhibits throughout the year, is another campus resource for Cuban culture.
“We encourage everyone to visit and see a piece of our culture,” Arriaza said.
For more information about the Cuban Heritage Collection contact 305-284-4900. For more information regarding events offered at Casa Bacardi contact 305-284-CUBA. For more information on FEC, contacts fec.studorg@miami.edu.

Marquita Bell can be contacted at m_bell01@hotmail.com

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...