Track and field receives national ranking

The University of Miami women’s track and field team moved up three spots to No. 22 in the latest Trackwire 25 poll released Tuesday.
The Hurricanes are coming off a dominating performance this past weekend at the Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic in which they won nine events including the 100-meters, 200-meters, 400-meters, 800-meters, 100-meter hurdles, 400-meter hurdles, long jump, 4×100-meter relay and 4×400-meter relay.
Miami has already qualified 17 student-athletes in 11 events for the NCAA Regional Championships, May 30-31, in Fairfax, VA. Miami has qualified two sprinters in the 100-meters, three sprinters in the 200-meters, five sprinters in the 400-meters, two runners in the 800-meters, four hurdlers in the 100-meter hurdles, one in the 400-meter hurdles, the 4×100-meter relay, the 4×400-meter relay, three jumpers in the long jump, one in the triple jump and two throwers in the shot put.
Leading the way for the Hurricanes are sophomore All-American Lauryn Williams and freshman All-American Charlette Greggs.
Williams, the defending Big East champion and 2002 World Junior Champion in the 100-meters, ranks fourth in the NCAA in the 100-meters (11.23) and sixth in the 200-meters (23.25). She is also a member of the Hurricanes’ fourth-ranked 4×100-meter relay.
Greggs, who earned All-America honors as a member of the 4×400-meter relay during the indoor season, ranks fourth in the nation in the 200-meters (23.19) and second in the country in the 400-meters (52.11). She is also a member of the fourth-ranked 4×100-meter relay and fourth-ranked 4×400-meter relay.
Senior All-American Sharianne Lawson and junior All-American Kitoya Carter are also ranked in multiple events. Lawson, the defending Big East 100-meter hurdle champion, ranks eighth in nation in the 100-meter hurdles (13.27), ninth in the nation in the long jump (6.33 meters/20-09.25) and is a member of the fourth-ranked 4×100-meter relay.
Carter ranks 15th in the nation in the 400-meters (53.56), 39th in the triple jump (12.35 meters/40-06.25) and is on the fourth-ranked 4×400-meter relay.
Other Hurricanes ranked among the nation’s elite include senior All-American Jamillah Wade who is 42nd in the 100-meter hurdles (13.87) and 12th in the 400-meter hurdles (58.57), senior All-American Patricia Pearson who has recorded the six-fastest time in the nation in the 800-meters (2:06.49), freshman India Ransom who is 20th in the 100-meters (11.48), senior All-American Sashanie Simpson who is 25th in the 200-meters (23.69) and 27th in the 400-meters (54.05), senior All-American Saraque Whittaker who is 34th in the 400-meters (54.28), sophomore Wiande Moore who ranks 52nd in the 400-meters (54.83), junior Terria Madison who is 34th in the 800-meters (2:10.17), freshman All-American Dominique Darden who ranks 26th in the 100-meter hurdles (13.69), senior All-American Gina Harris who is 21st in the long jump (6.12 meters/20-01.00), sophomore Chinela Davis who is 25tt in the long jump (6.06 meters/19-10.75), junior Adrienne Moss who ranks 14th in the shot put (15.88 meters/52-01.25) and junior Jennifer Penrose who is 16th in the shot put (15.79 meters/51-09.75).

-Compiled by the Sports Information Department

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...