Stranded by technology and fending off computers

Remind me to never enter the computer lab hungry, because I just might starve to death trying to get anything accomplished-if I get anything accomplished.
The Mac Labs in the School of Communication are probably the worst you can find on campus besides the library. The wonderfully sophisticated technology probably functions for about one in two computers, and out of that group, you might find one connected to the network, and out of that group, you might find one that actually prints. So a projected 30-minute job might actually take you two hours or more (not that you had a life or anything) if you don’t by then toss the computer off the third floor. Best of all, I love how there is no one ever there to help you with any problems you may encounter. Oh the beauty of technology! Instead of making our lives simple, it looks like we have to get another major in computer information systems just to complete our first major.
However, I know that a huge part of the problem is not the lack of maintenance, but the computers themselves. Supposedly Macintosh computers are a gift to the designer, but if you ask me it was a man-made nightmare-you are lucky if you make it through one sitting and the computer doesn’t crash or that you won’t receive an error message saying that you will lose all your information that you spent ten hours trying to create, in just two seconds. Although I learned how to use a computer on a Macintosh, I am a diehard PC fan-but then again I am diehard for anything that works more than 50% of the time.
It is already bad enough that the labs have limited hours, but having to allot twice the normal time to a project just to complete it on time is insane. Maybe I should just sacrifice all of my studying time to wrestle with the computers-I didn’t really need that extra A.

Marquita Bell is a sophomore majoring in print journalism and political science. She can be reached at m_bell01@hotmail.com.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...