Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball
University of Miami women’s basketball standout Tamara James was named to the Honorable Mention All-America team by Kodak/WBCA and the Associated Press.
James was selected as one of the 48 finalists for the 2003 Division I Kodak/WBCA Women’s All-America Basketball Team. As a finalist, James automatically earns Honorable Mention All-America status.
James is the fourth Miami player, and the first UM freshman to garner Kodak/WBCA Honorable Mention All-America honors.
James is the UM first player to earn AP All-America honors.
She was also named to the Big East All-Rookie team, Big East Second team and the Big East All-Tournament team this season.
James led the conference in scoring all season with 21.0 points per game. She was also the highest scoring freshman in the nation at No. 10.
In addition, she was a five-time Big East Rookie of the Week pick. James started all 31 games for the Hurricanes this season, averaging 21.0 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
She recorded seven double-doubles and scored in double-digits in 30 games.
James’s jersey will also be placed in the Ring of Honor at the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame in Knoxville, TN.
At the conclusion of each season the Women’s Basketball of Fame, which opened in 1999, hangs the jerseys of all high school All-Americans, collegiate All-Americans and WNBA All-Stars from the past year.
This year’s jerseys will be placed in the Ring of Honor during the first week in May.

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...