Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball
University of Miami women’s basketball standout Tamara James was named to the Honorable Mention All-America team by Kodak/WBCA and the Associated Press.
James was selected as one of the 48 finalists for the 2003 Division I Kodak/WBCA Women’s All-America Basketball Team. As a finalist, James automatically earns Honorable Mention All-America status.
James is the fourth Miami player, and the first UM freshman to garner Kodak/WBCA Honorable Mention All-America honors.
James is the UM first player to earn AP All-America honors.
She was also named to the Big East All-Rookie team, Big East Second team and the Big East All-Tournament team this season.
James led the conference in scoring all season with 21.0 points per game. She was also the highest scoring freshman in the nation at No. 10.
In addition, she was a five-time Big East Rookie of the Week pick. James started all 31 games for the Hurricanes this season, averaging 21.0 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
She recorded seven double-doubles and scored in double-digits in 30 games.
James’s jersey will also be placed in the Ring of Honor at the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame in Knoxville, TN.
At the conclusion of each season the Women’s Basketball of Fame, which opened in 1999, hangs the jerseys of all high school All-Americans, collegiate All-Americans and WNBA All-Stars from the past year.
This year’s jerseys will be placed in the Ring of Honor during the first week in May.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...