Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball
University of Miami women’s basketball standout Tamara James was named to the Honorable Mention All-America team by Kodak/WBCA and the Associated Press.
James was selected as one of the 48 finalists for the 2003 Division I Kodak/WBCA Women’s All-America Basketball Team. As a finalist, James automatically earns Honorable Mention All-America status.
James is the fourth Miami player, and the first UM freshman to garner Kodak/WBCA Honorable Mention All-America honors.
James is the UM first player to earn AP All-America honors.
She was also named to the Big East All-Rookie team, Big East Second team and the Big East All-Tournament team this season.
James led the conference in scoring all season with 21.0 points per game. She was also the highest scoring freshman in the nation at No. 10.
In addition, she was a five-time Big East Rookie of the Week pick. James started all 31 games for the Hurricanes this season, averaging 21.0 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
She recorded seven double-doubles and scored in double-digits in 30 games.
James’s jersey will also be placed in the Ring of Honor at the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame in Knoxville, TN.
At the conclusion of each season the Women’s Basketball of Fame, which opened in 1999, hangs the jerseys of all high school All-Americans, collegiate All-Americans and WNBA All-Stars from the past year.
This year’s jerseys will be placed in the Ring of Honor during the first week in May.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...