News Briefs

University of Miami School of Medicine physicians and programs were honored today with Health Care Heroes Awards presented by the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce.
Dr. Robert Schwartz, chairman of the School of Medicine’s Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, was the winner in the health care professionals category. Dr. Schwartz created a model health care partnership with Jackson Memorial Medical Center, the Public Health Trust and the Overtown Community Board to deliver full-service medical care in Overtown at the Jefferson Reaves Sr. Health Center.
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Holtz Children’s Hospital at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center received the Health Care Hero Award for institutions or programs. In accepting the award, Dr. G. Patricia Cantwell, director of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, paid tribute to her many colleagues who care for South Florida’s sickest children – and their families.
Thomas C. Doherty, who is retiring as director of the Miami Veterans Affairs Medical Center, won the “individual of merit” award. The Miami VA is nationally recognized for several programs it conducts in partnership with the School of Medicine, including geriatric research, treatment of HIV/AIDS patients, spinal cord injury research and substance abuse treatment.
Dr. Bernard A. Roos, UM professor of geriatric medicine and chief academic officer of the Miami Jewish Home & Hospital for the Aged, was named a finalist in the health care professionals category.

During reading days and final exams the Richter Library will remain open 24 hours a day. The library will open on Saturday, April 26 at 9 a.m. and remain continuously open until Thursday, May 8. The library will close at 11 p.m. on May 8. For a detailed library schedule, visit the library website at www.library.miami.edu/general/hours.html.

A new University tradition begins this spring. Commencement will be held in an exciting new venue – the University of Miami Convocation Center. Combined ceremonies for all eligible undergraduates and graduate students will be held on Friday, May 9. Candidates may pick up their cap and gown on Tuesday and Wednesday, May 6 and 7, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Thursday, May 8, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at the Toppel Career Center. Call 305-284-5451 for more information.
The commencement ceremony for the School of Medicine will be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, May 10, at the Convocation Center. The School of Law will hold its commencement ceremony at 2 p.m. on Sunday, May 18, at the Convocation Center. Candidates in these schools should contact their respective offices for details on regalia.
No tickets are required for the ceremonies. For more information about all commencement events, visit www.miami.edu/commencement.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...