Sports Briefs

Women’s track and field
Freshman All-American Charlette Greggs recorded the fastest time in the nation in winning the 400-meters, and sophomore All-American Lauryn Williams won both the 100-meters and 200-meters as the 25th-ranked University of Miami Hurricanes dominated the 17th Annual Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic in Coral Gables, FL.
Greggs, who earned All-America honors during the indoor season as a member of the 4×400-meter relay, cruised to the win in the 400-meters in a school-record time of 52.11 seconds. Earlier this season she posted the second fastest time in the nation in the 200-meters (23.19).
Williams, the World Junior Champion in the 100-meters, set a school and meet record in winning the 100-meters in a time of 11.27 seconds. Williams then posted the fourth fastest time in the nation in winning the 200-meters in 23.25 seconds.
Williams and Greggs also ran the opening two legs of the victorious 4×100-meter relay along with freshman All-American Dominique Darden and India Ranson. Their winning time of 44.29 is an NCAA regional qualifier.
Overall the Hurricanes won nine events including senior All-American Sharianne Lawson in the 100-meter hurdles and long jump, senior All-American Patricia Pearson the 800-meters, senior All-American Jamillah Wade in the 400-meter hurdles, and the 4×400-meter relay.
Lawson led a 1-2-3 sweep of the 100-meter hurdles posting a winning time of 13.43 seconds. Darden finished second in a time of 13.69, while Wade took third (13.87).
Pearson posted the a time of 2:06.49, the fourth fastest time in the nation, in her 800-meter victory, while Wade recorded the ninth best time by a collegian this year (58.57) in winning the 400-meter hurdles.
The women’s 4×400-meter relay of Wade, Pearson, senior All-American Saraque Whittaker and senior All-American Sashanie Simpson as also victorious in a time of 3:45.02.
Lawson won the long jump with an NCAA Regional qualifying mark of 6.33 meters (20-09.25) while All-American Gina Harris was second with a jump of 6.10 meters (20-00.25).
In the throws, senior Adrienne Moss set school-records in both the hammer and shot put. Moss finished fourth in the hammer with a school-record toss of 50.80 meters (166-08). It is the second time in as many weeks that Moss has bettered the UM record in the hammer. In addition Moss placed third in the shot put with a school-record throw of 15.88 meters (52-01.25) bettering the mark she set last week at the South Florida Invitational.

Men’s Track and field
University of Miami junior Aaron Bass qualified for the NCAA Regional Championships in the pole vault, and freshman Terrell Walden led six Hurricanes who qualified for the Big East Championships in the 100-meters at the 17th Annual Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic in Coral Gables, FL.
Bass finished fourth in the pole vault with a mark of 4.90 meters (16:00.75) to qualify for the NCAA Regional Championships, May 30-31, in Fairfax, VA.
In the 100-meters, freshman Terrell Walden won with a Big East qualifying time of 10.52 seconds. Miami had six sprinters record Big East qualifying marks including Roscoe Parrish who finished third (10.65), sophomore Tanard Davis who was fourth (10.70), freshman Travarous Bain who placed fifth (10.74), sophomore Sean Taylor who finished sixth (10.77) and freshman Kelly Jennings who was seventh (10.78).
Also qualifying for the BIG EAST Championships was the 4×100-meter relay of Jennings, Darnell Jenkins, Antrell Rolle and Taylor. The foursome, competing for the first time this season, finished fourth with a time of 41.25 seconds.
In the 5,000-meters, junior Matt Mulvaney won with a time of 14:58.62.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...