Sports Briefs

Women’s track and field
Freshman All-American Charlette Greggs recorded the fastest time in the nation in winning the 400-meters, and sophomore All-American Lauryn Williams won both the 100-meters and 200-meters as the 25th-ranked University of Miami Hurricanes dominated the 17th Annual Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic in Coral Gables, FL.
Greggs, who earned All-America honors during the indoor season as a member of the 4×400-meter relay, cruised to the win in the 400-meters in a school-record time of 52.11 seconds. Earlier this season she posted the second fastest time in the nation in the 200-meters (23.19).
Williams, the World Junior Champion in the 100-meters, set a school and meet record in winning the 100-meters in a time of 11.27 seconds. Williams then posted the fourth fastest time in the nation in winning the 200-meters in 23.25 seconds.
Williams and Greggs also ran the opening two legs of the victorious 4×100-meter relay along with freshman All-American Dominique Darden and India Ranson. Their winning time of 44.29 is an NCAA regional qualifier.
Overall the Hurricanes won nine events including senior All-American Sharianne Lawson in the 100-meter hurdles and long jump, senior All-American Patricia Pearson the 800-meters, senior All-American Jamillah Wade in the 400-meter hurdles, and the 4×400-meter relay.
Lawson led a 1-2-3 sweep of the 100-meter hurdles posting a winning time of 13.43 seconds. Darden finished second in a time of 13.69, while Wade took third (13.87).
Pearson posted the a time of 2:06.49, the fourth fastest time in the nation, in her 800-meter victory, while Wade recorded the ninth best time by a collegian this year (58.57) in winning the 400-meter hurdles.
The women’s 4×400-meter relay of Wade, Pearson, senior All-American Saraque Whittaker and senior All-American Sashanie Simpson as also victorious in a time of 3:45.02.
Lawson won the long jump with an NCAA Regional qualifying mark of 6.33 meters (20-09.25) while All-American Gina Harris was second with a jump of 6.10 meters (20-00.25).
In the throws, senior Adrienne Moss set school-records in both the hammer and shot put. Moss finished fourth in the hammer with a school-record toss of 50.80 meters (166-08). It is the second time in as many weeks that Moss has bettered the UM record in the hammer. In addition Moss placed third in the shot put with a school-record throw of 15.88 meters (52-01.25) bettering the mark she set last week at the South Florida Invitational.

Men’s Track and field
University of Miami junior Aaron Bass qualified for the NCAA Regional Championships in the pole vault, and freshman Terrell Walden led six Hurricanes who qualified for the Big East Championships in the 100-meters at the 17th Annual Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic in Coral Gables, FL.
Bass finished fourth in the pole vault with a mark of 4.90 meters (16:00.75) to qualify for the NCAA Regional Championships, May 30-31, in Fairfax, VA.
In the 100-meters, freshman Terrell Walden won with a Big East qualifying time of 10.52 seconds. Miami had six sprinters record Big East qualifying marks including Roscoe Parrish who finished third (10.65), sophomore Tanard Davis who was fourth (10.70), freshman Travarous Bain who placed fifth (10.74), sophomore Sean Taylor who finished sixth (10.77) and freshman Kelly Jennings who was seventh (10.78).
Also qualifying for the BIG EAST Championships was the 4×100-meter relay of Jennings, Darnell Jenkins, Antrell Rolle and Taylor. The foursome, competing for the first time this season, finished fourth with a time of 41.25 seconds.
In the 5,000-meters, junior Matt Mulvaney won with a time of 14:58.62.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...