Senioritis Strikes Again; Claims the Grades of Many!

Just when you thought it was safe to skip class today – the horrible dEjX-vu feeling hits you. “I’ve been here before. I’ve run out of rationalizations. It can’t be. Oh, say it ain’t so!” Yes, my fellow cap-and-gowners, Senioritis has reared its ugly head once again – and is plaguing unsuspecting senior students all over campus. Beware, because it’s been known to strike when least expected-even the best, most dedicated scholars. Just when you thought you were immune, all of a sudden, that 3.8 GPA from last semester seems as null and void as your recently maxed-out Burdines card (“It is imperative that I get new grown-up work clothes for the job I don’t even have yet.”).
Symptoms may include, but are not limited to: Excessive drinking; an increase in parking violations and credit card debt; a snooze button that has become so worn that it barely functions; bartenders who know you better than your own professors, and an overall loss of motivation-which has made way for severe swings between apathy, jubilation, anxiety and deliriousness. What is the rationale behind this sudden dip in academic appreciation?
Well, maybe we’re finally realizing that unless we continue on to higher education, future employers won’t give a hoot about the GPA that took years of groveling to cultivate. And for those enterprising students who have seen the dip in the economy as a perfect opportunity to seek a higher degree while the job market isn’t so hot, I’d imagine you’ve already been accepted to the school you’ll been attending next fall. It’s nearly impossible to look past the beautiful calligraphy announcing a reception at President Shalala’s house and the glossy commencement brochure that arrived a couple of weeks ago, to the overloaded syllabus and stack of unwritten term papers crowding your desktop. During this time where the workload seems to be weighing down more than the past 3 1/2 years put together, the general consensus seems to be: “One more month! Even less than that if you don’t count reading days! (Some unnecessary profanity which we certainly didn’t learn here) all of this . . . .”
I can only try to come out of the mist of mediocrity for a moment to offer some advice that I wish I could take myself. Why not out with a bang? Why not throw your all into everything you do for just one more month? I promise it will feel better to walk down that aisle knowing that “all-over” for us means an end to the struggle this semester has wrought, a real cause for celebration and not just another hung-over night of partying.

Whitney W. Friedrich can be contacted at Witz615@aol.com.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...