news briefs

In music news, ill rocker Beck is going on tour with wack-music mongers Dashboard Confessional (wha?). We weren’t too sure what to think of this, but it turns out that both artists are affiliated with Interscope Records (Beck is on the label and DC are distributed by them). Anyway, Beck’s also making an appearance on coarse-voiced crooner Macy Gray’s new album, The Trouble with Being Myself. Check www.beck.com for tour dates.

Anger Management, a new blockbuster comedy starring Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson, ripped apart the charts by selling a record $44.5 million worth of tickets in the first three days since it opened, which equals more than the revenue of the rest of the top 10 new flicks combined. Pairing these two irreverent star actors definitely contributed to the movie’s success.

In more film news, Andy Garcia wants to make Godfather 4. Despite that author Mario Puzo and director Francis Coppola discussed a fourth film that would focus on Sonny Corleone in his 20s, Paramount Pictures refused to give the green light. It’ll never top the first anyway. Moreover, although the last two sequels failed at the box office, Exorcist: The Beginning is presently in production, starring Swedish actor Stellan Skarsgaard in Max von Sydow’s former role as Father Merrin and it’s directed by Paul Shrader of Taxi Driver fame, who’s looking to put his own twist on the story: it will take place 3 years after WWII when Merrin first encounters the devil in North Africa. A release date is set for July 18.

DJ Funkmaster Flex (NYC’s Hot 97) pleaded guilty to harassment and escaped assault charges against radio personality Steph Lova. Supposedly, Lova let rapper Nas accuse Flex of accepting payola on her show and Flex caught her outside studio offices and smacked her up.

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...