Intro to failure: Weed out the weed-out classes

At Johns Hopkins University, students take their first semester’s worth of classes on a pass/fail basis. At the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, this option buttresses students’ transcripts all freshman year. The goal is to relieve the stress that often comes with first year: choosing a major, getting acquainted with new surroundings, and higher standards within the classroom.
UM is neither Hopkins nor MIT. We do have a built-in stress stabilizer here that we call “weather.” But when you take into consideration a typical UM student’s course load (5 classes per semester), and compare it to most schools, where students take a normal course-load of 4 or 3 classes per term, one wonders where the clemency is.
UM does feature the “freshman forgiveness” policy, but this comes at a cost, taking students off track from on-time graduation, and making students feel incompetent for their inability to pass an introductory class. Shouldn’t something more be done?
Realistically, it would be difficult for UM to lower the number of required credits for graduation; upperclassmen would start swinging, and it would take away from Donna Shalala’s vision of a comprehensive liberal arts education. As for the pass/fail option, that really is at the administration’s discretion, although it would be wildly popular amongst freshmen and would allow students slightly more time to adjust to life on their own. For the time being, however, the University should look into re-evaluating many of its so-called introductory classes on many levels.
The title bestowed to many of UM’s intro classes is deceiving–students sign up hoping to get their feet wet, only to have the professors proverbially hold their heads under water (except for that crazy intro to swimming teacher, but he’s been fired). The administration should see to it that teachers be interesting and interested, and evaluate the subject matter in each class and method of testing. Simply stated, intro classes should be easy but interesting–not unnecessarily daunting. As the situation stands, my roommate and good friend is packing up and preparing for a year away from school, because he was just one of many first-year students to succumb to the difficulty of BIO 150. Hell, I’m having trouble pulling a C in Intro to Broadcasting-BROADCASTING! So let’s hope that future classes don’t have to put up with what is currently an inexcusable misnomer: the intro class.

Ben Minkus is a freshman studying Broadcast Journalism; he can be contacted at Boopalee@aol.com.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...