Greeks shine at apple polishing ceremony

The Greek Apple Polishing ceremony honored Greek scholars last Thursday at the Wellness Center by the outdoor courts.
The event is sponsored annually by the UM Greek community to recognize both outstanding administrators and outstanding faculty members on the UM campus.
Additionally, fraternity and sorority members who have excelled academically the previous semester are honored. At the event, students with a 3.5 GPA or higher were presented with a certificate of achievement by other members of the Greek community.
The event was started to honor members of fraternities and sororities for accomplishments outside of the Greek community.
“Greeks are involved in every aspect of the University,” Kate Devlin, Delta Gamma sister, said. “Apple polishing is an important event because Greeks take part in so many activities outside of their sororities and fraternities. It’s good to honor them for their other achievements.”
A long-standing tradition, the event was originally intended only for members of the Panhellenic Association. Then, in 1998, the administration decided to make the event more encompassing of the rest of the Greek community.
“I changed the event format that year to make it more inclusive of all Greek organizations in an effort to recognize our students for their academic accomplishments,” said Greg Singleton, associate dean of students, who works with the Greek organizations.
During the event, Ms. Maria Fallon of the Office of Admissions was honored as Outstanding Administrator of the Year; Dr. Howard Marmorstein was named Outstanding Professor of the Year.
According to many of those associated with the Apple Polishing awards, the recognition focuses on an equally important part of Greek life that may otherwise be overlooked.
“It’s a very aces event because it highlights an aspect of Greek life that is rarely recognized,” Jay Wetzel, who was honored for his high GPA this past semester, said.
To nominate a teacher or administrator for next year’s Apple Polishing awards, contact Dean Singleton at grsing@miami.edu.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at jlisenby@umsis.com.

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...