Greeks shine at apple polishing ceremony

The Greek Apple Polishing ceremony honored Greek scholars last Thursday at the Wellness Center by the outdoor courts.
The event is sponsored annually by the UM Greek community to recognize both outstanding administrators and outstanding faculty members on the UM campus.
Additionally, fraternity and sorority members who have excelled academically the previous semester are honored. At the event, students with a 3.5 GPA or higher were presented with a certificate of achievement by other members of the Greek community.
The event was started to honor members of fraternities and sororities for accomplishments outside of the Greek community.
“Greeks are involved in every aspect of the University,” Kate Devlin, Delta Gamma sister, said. “Apple polishing is an important event because Greeks take part in so many activities outside of their sororities and fraternities. It’s good to honor them for their other achievements.”
A long-standing tradition, the event was originally intended only for members of the Panhellenic Association. Then, in 1998, the administration decided to make the event more encompassing of the rest of the Greek community.
“I changed the event format that year to make it more inclusive of all Greek organizations in an effort to recognize our students for their academic accomplishments,” said Greg Singleton, associate dean of students, who works with the Greek organizations.
During the event, Ms. Maria Fallon of the Office of Admissions was honored as Outstanding Administrator of the Year; Dr. Howard Marmorstein was named Outstanding Professor of the Year.
According to many of those associated with the Apple Polishing awards, the recognition focuses on an equally important part of Greek life that may otherwise be overlooked.
“It’s a very aces event because it highlights an aspect of Greek life that is rarely recognized,” Jay Wetzel, who was honored for his high GPA this past semester, said.
To nominate a teacher or administrator for next year’s Apple Polishing awards, contact Dean Singleton at grsing@miami.edu.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at jlisenby@umsis.com.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...