Greeks shine at apple polishing ceremony

The Greek Apple Polishing ceremony honored Greek scholars last Thursday at the Wellness Center by the outdoor courts.
The event is sponsored annually by the UM Greek community to recognize both outstanding administrators and outstanding faculty members on the UM campus.
Additionally, fraternity and sorority members who have excelled academically the previous semester are honored. At the event, students with a 3.5 GPA or higher were presented with a certificate of achievement by other members of the Greek community.
The event was started to honor members of fraternities and sororities for accomplishments outside of the Greek community.
“Greeks are involved in every aspect of the University,” Kate Devlin, Delta Gamma sister, said. “Apple polishing is an important event because Greeks take part in so many activities outside of their sororities and fraternities. It’s good to honor them for their other achievements.”
A long-standing tradition, the event was originally intended only for members of the Panhellenic Association. Then, in 1998, the administration decided to make the event more encompassing of the rest of the Greek community.
“I changed the event format that year to make it more inclusive of all Greek organizations in an effort to recognize our students for their academic accomplishments,” said Greg Singleton, associate dean of students, who works with the Greek organizations.
During the event, Ms. Maria Fallon of the Office of Admissions was honored as Outstanding Administrator of the Year; Dr. Howard Marmorstein was named Outstanding Professor of the Year.
According to many of those associated with the Apple Polishing awards, the recognition focuses on an equally important part of Greek life that may otherwise be overlooked.
“It’s a very aces event because it highlights an aspect of Greek life that is rarely recognized,” Jay Wetzel, who was honored for his high GPA this past semester, said.
To nominate a teacher or administrator for next year’s Apple Polishing awards, contact Dean Singleton at grsing@miami.edu.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at jlisenby@umsis.com.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...