Greeks shine at apple polishing ceremony

The Greek Apple Polishing ceremony honored Greek scholars last Thursday at the Wellness Center by the outdoor courts.
The event is sponsored annually by the UM Greek community to recognize both outstanding administrators and outstanding faculty members on the UM campus.
Additionally, fraternity and sorority members who have excelled academically the previous semester are honored. At the event, students with a 3.5 GPA or higher were presented with a certificate of achievement by other members of the Greek community.
The event was started to honor members of fraternities and sororities for accomplishments outside of the Greek community.
“Greeks are involved in every aspect of the University,” Kate Devlin, Delta Gamma sister, said. “Apple polishing is an important event because Greeks take part in so many activities outside of their sororities and fraternities. It’s good to honor them for their other achievements.”
A long-standing tradition, the event was originally intended only for members of the Panhellenic Association. Then, in 1998, the administration decided to make the event more encompassing of the rest of the Greek community.
“I changed the event format that year to make it more inclusive of all Greek organizations in an effort to recognize our students for their academic accomplishments,” said Greg Singleton, associate dean of students, who works with the Greek organizations.
During the event, Ms. Maria Fallon of the Office of Admissions was honored as Outstanding Administrator of the Year; Dr. Howard Marmorstein was named Outstanding Professor of the Year.
According to many of those associated with the Apple Polishing awards, the recognition focuses on an equally important part of Greek life that may otherwise be overlooked.
“It’s a very aces event because it highlights an aspect of Greek life that is rarely recognized,” Jay Wetzel, who was honored for his high GPA this past semester, said.
To nominate a teacher or administrator for next year’s Apple Polishing awards, contact Dean Singleton at grsing@miami.edu.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at jlisenby@umsis.com.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...