Velazquez holds down fort for UM

The Miami diving team currently has just two divers on its men’s squad. The way Miguel Velazquez has been performing recently, that may be enough for the team to make noise in nationals.
Velazquez, who hails from Mexico City, has made a name for himself in his two years with the Hurricanes. The sophomore was recently named an All-American diver for the second year in a row.
Apart from the All-American mention, Velazquez has enjoyed a very successful year individually. In January, he finished second place at the Speedo American Cup diving championship in Bloomington, Indiana. Velazquez followed that performance with a win in the Big East Championships’ one-meter diving event in February.
Velazquez had already qualified for the NCAA Championships by the time he came to the NCAA Diving Zone B regional qualifiers at Auburn University. But that didn’t stop him from finishing third in the event.
A week later, Velazquez showed up at the University of Texas for the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships, placing 17th in the one-meter dive on opening day. Velazquez would rebound to finish fourth in the three-meter dive, a result the sophomore was much more content with.
“It was just a different event, and I missed a dive on Thursday,” Velazquez said.
Velazquez finished the NCAA Championships with the 10th place finish in the men’s platform dive.
“I did as good as I expected to do and I am pleased with my performance this year” Velazquez said.
Velazquez is the lone sophomore on a swimming and diving squad that consists of five seniors. That number pales in comparison to the 23 swimmers and divers on UM’s women’s team, but Velazquez still finds a way to have fun and be competitive.
“I am happy with my performance this year and with the team,” Velazquez said. “I wish we had more divers to make the team bigger but we all get along great.”
Velazquez has enjoyed success at nearly every level of competition. In addition to his accomplishments is placing high for Miami, Velazquez has continued to amass personal best numbers in events like the one-meter springboard, the three-meter springboard and the three-meter platform.
This comes just two years removed from a high school career in which Velazquez was both a district and state champion at Gulliver Prep in Miami.
Unfortunately, the future is uncertain for Velazquez and the other five members of Miami’s men’s swimming and diving team, since the program is being terminated following this season. Until that time, though, Velazquez is continuing to have a positive outlook on things.

Justin Waltz can be reached at j.waltz@umiami.edu.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...