UM, Convocation Center must bring on the music

If you are a University of Miami student, you anxiously awaited the opening of the Convocation Center earlier this year. And, chances are, if you are a University of Miami student, you probably haven’t even set foot inside the arena yet.
Not that there’s anything wrong with our basketball team or Coldplay, but I was probably more excited to see a camel chilling on the UC patio the other day (the fact that viewing my dromedary friend didn’t cost $35 probably helped, too). How can the University justify the construction of a multi-million dollar facility if it is only for seasonal use? Basketball season takes up only a few months out of the year, so unless anyone has a better idea, the University should look into booking musical entertainment for the center.
Now, I know this school has a heavy college music influence-we need look no further than WVUM, which will basically play anything (Radiohead, Jurassic 5, Bright Eyes, Lagwagon, etc.) except mainstream. I also know that UM can pull in at least decently attractive musical acts for a college crowd (see and see also New Found Glory). Thus far, I have been thoroughly disappointed with the Gabe Dixon Band, Floetry, and other no-hit wonders. (I have heard, to the University’s credit, of an upcoming reggae concert featuring Sean Paul among others, and I am hoping this is a beginning of a long trend of musical acts making their way down to our campus.)
Other than pleasing its students, the University also has expectations to fulfill for the local community. South Miami and Coral Gables have been in desperate need of a venue to compete with West Palm’s MARS Music Amphitheatre, Boca’s Mizner Park, and the Pompano Beach Amphitheatre, and now that we have it, it seems ridiculous for us not to utilize it. Are we truly led to believe that a 7,000-seat arena in the heart of Miami can’t compete with locations two hours away?
Having attended high school just down the street, and having made my fair share of two-hour drives only to get my shoes stuck in a beer-dirt concoction, I can tell you that almost any student would rather save their gas money than make the trek northward. So, now the pressure’s on for the University to not only book acts, but acts that generate interest from the student body. Students want groups like Outkast, Dispatch, Weezer, the Roots, OAR, and other musical acts with strong college followings and reasonable ticket prices to make appearances here, not flavor-of-the-day mainstream garbage like the All-American Rejects.
And maybe we could bring that camel back, too.

Ben Minkus is a freshman studying Broadcast Journalism; he can be contacted at Boopalee@aol.com.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...