Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis
University of Miami men’s tennis player Todd Widom was recently selected by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association for the ITA All-Star Team.
The ITA All-Star Team will represent the United States in Japan this summer from June 12 through 16.
According to a release from the ITA, the team will help Waseda University celebrate its 100th anniversary of tennis by competing in two exhibition matches in Tokyo.
Matches are scheduled to take place at Ariake Stadium, which holds a capacity of 10,000 spectators. On June 14 the All-Stars will face Waseda University, which earned the No. 1 ranking in Japan last year, and on June 15 they will face a Japanese All-Star Team. Both matches will use a format similar to the one World Team Tennis uses, which features men and women competing together on the same team in men’s and women’s singles, doubles and mixed doubles.
The Hurricanes first singles player was one of just 10 men’s and women’s players selected for the team.
Last season, Widom was an All-American selection having advanced to the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament.
Throughout the spring, Widom has been ranked in the top-20 (current ranking: 14th) and he has accumulated an 11-4 record in dual matches this season.
The ITA release elaborated, “Criteria for the player selections included: the player’s national ranking(s); sportsmanship, leadership and character; and tennis playing accomplishments, honors and awards. The selections were made by the ITA Board of Directors.”
The team will be coached by Bob Bayliss of Notre Dame and Ann Lebedoff of Pomona-Pitzer (Calif.) Colleges.

Track and field
The University of Miami women’s track and field team debuted at No. 25 in the season opening Trackwire 25 Outdoor Track and Field Poll released Tuesday.
The Hurricanes have two individuals and two relays ranked by Trackwire including two-time All-American Lauryn Williams who is fifth in the 100-meters, and freshman All-American Charlette Greggs who ranks 12th in the 400-meters.
UM’s 4×100-meter relay of freshman Dominique Darden, Greggs, senior Sharianne Lawson and Williams, ranks sixth in the nation, while the 4×400-meter relay of senior Sashanie Simpson, Greggs, senior Jamillah Wade and junior Kitoya Carter ranks fifth.
The Hurricanes host their final home meet of the season, the Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic, this Saturday, April 12 at Cobb Stadium in Coral Gables. Field events are scheduled to begin at noon, with track events starting at 5:15 p.m.

Women’s Tennis
The No. 19-ranked Miami women’s tennis team fell 5-2 to No. 16 William & Mary Sunday afternoon in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Miami falls to 14-5 overall while W&M improves to 19-4 on the season.
The Hurricanes fell despite winning the doubles point.
Melissa Applebaum teamed with Megan Bradley to beat No. 9 Kate Boomershine and Candice Fuchs 8-4 at No. 1 doubles.
Igna deVilliers and Abby Smith downed Kari Olsen and Lingda Yang 8-5 at No. 2 doubles.
Staci Stevens defeated Nina Kamp 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 (4) at the No. 4 spot in Miami’s only singles win.
The Hurricanes close out the season Saturday at 3 p.m. hosting Notre Dame.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...