Put to rest doubts about women in the military

One of the things I’ve never been able to understand is the degree to which many people, in and out of uniform, still harbor doubts and resentment about women serving in the military. In my experience in the Marine Corps, I felt that the only differences that exist between men and women insofar as their military duties are concerned were those bestowed upon them by nature. By this, I mean things primarily of a physical nature, such as heavy lifting and pregnancy. Still these only apply to purely physical tasks that one would readily encounter in the civilian world where men and women have long worked side by side.
Still, many men (and some women too) feel that women don’t belong in uniform except in a purely supportive role. Some of the reasoning behind this are comments like, “Are the American people ready to see women as POW’s, exposed to the brutal treatment that often entails?” With the experiences of both Gulf War I and our current conflict in mind, I think the answer to that question in particular is a resounding, “YES.” Clearly, the American public did not fall apart at the sight or knowledge of female soldiers as prisoners of war.
This then leads to the issue of women in combat. The questions asked about whether a woman could not only stand her ground against the enemy, but also possess the fortitude to endure the rigors of war have been proven with resounding clarity by the actions of PFC Jessica Lynch. She represents the absolute embodiment of the type of person (man or woman) that I searched for on a daily basis, as a former Marine Corps recruiter. When her column came under attack by the Iraqis she did not falter, she held steady. When the enemy advanced on her position, she did not shirk from her duties; she manned her weapon and fired it until her ammunition was exhausted, killing several Iraqi soldiers. Fortunately, through the combined efforts of soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines, we got her back alive.
Her actions reflect the highest ideals of the US military and the American spirit. Most importantly though, they are undeniable proof that not only can women handle any job in the military, but that they are now an integral part of it.

Scott Wacholtz is a senior majoring in political science. Anyone interested in enlisting in the Marine Corps can contact him at aramis1642@hotmail.com

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...