News Briefs

During reading days and final exams the Richter Library will remain open 24 hours a day. The library will open on Saturday, April 26 at 9 a.m. and remain continuously open until Thursday, May 8. The library will close at 11 p.m. on May 8. For a detailed library schedule, visit the library website at www.library.miami.edu/general/hours.html.

Student Government Senate is looking for student leaders with ideas to improve our community. If you want to have a say in matters of great importance to the University or work on projects to improve academics and facilities, please apply for vacant senate seats. Currently they are in need of senators for the following classes, schools or residencies: Commuter Central, Mahoney, Eaton, School of Education, Junior and Sophomore. For more information, contact Student Government at 305-284-3082 or stop by UC 214.

UM announced today that Nilda Peragallo, R.N., Dr.P.H., has been appointed Dean of the School of Nursing.
An internationally recognized researcher on HIV and AIDS among Hispanic populations, Dr. Peragallo, a native of Chile, is an assistant professor at the School of Nursing at the University of Maryland and serves as interim chair of the Department of Behavioral and Community Nursing.
“Professor Peragallo is an accomplished scholar who will strengthen the research activities of the School of Nursing,” said UM President Donna E. Shalala. “Her areas of expertise and leadership make her a great fit for the University of Miami and for our community.”
At the University of Miami, where she will assume her new responsibilities this summer, Dr. Peragallo will also have a faculty appointment at the School of Medicine.
Dr. Peragallo will be on hand when the School of Nursing breaks ground on its new home, the $19 million state-of-the-art M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education, on April 28.
“I am thrilled to be joining the University of Miami at such an opportune time,” said Dr. Peragallo. “I look forward to working and doing research in a diverse community.”
A 1984 graduate of the University of Texas School of Public Health, where she received her doctorate, Dr. Peragallo previously taught at the nursing schools at University of Illinois, University of Pennsylvania and University of Central Florida. She received her MSN from West Virginia University and her BSN from the University of Chile in Valparaiso, Chile. She is a Fellow American Academy of Nursing (FAAN) member, President of the National Association of Hispanic Nurses and was a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Nurse Scholar while at the University of Pennsylvania from 1989-91.
Dr. Peragallo replaces interim dean Sharon Pontius, who will rejoin the faculty and assist in the transition.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...