News Briefs

During reading days and final exams the Richter Library will remain open 24 hours a day. The library will open on Saturday, April 26 at 9 a.m. and remain continuously open until Thursday, May 8. The library will close at 11 p.m. on May 8. For a detailed library schedule, visit the library website at www.library.miami.edu/general/hours.html.

Student Government Senate is looking for student leaders with ideas to improve our community. If you want to have a say in matters of great importance to the University or work on projects to improve academics and facilities, please apply for vacant senate seats. Currently they are in need of senators for the following classes, schools or residencies: Commuter Central, Mahoney, Eaton, School of Education, Junior and Sophomore. For more information, contact Student Government at 305-284-3082 or stop by UC 214.

UM announced today that Nilda Peragallo, R.N., Dr.P.H., has been appointed Dean of the School of Nursing.
An internationally recognized researcher on HIV and AIDS among Hispanic populations, Dr. Peragallo, a native of Chile, is an assistant professor at the School of Nursing at the University of Maryland and serves as interim chair of the Department of Behavioral and Community Nursing.
“Professor Peragallo is an accomplished scholar who will strengthen the research activities of the School of Nursing,” said UM President Donna E. Shalala. “Her areas of expertise and leadership make her a great fit for the University of Miami and for our community.”
At the University of Miami, where she will assume her new responsibilities this summer, Dr. Peragallo will also have a faculty appointment at the School of Medicine.
Dr. Peragallo will be on hand when the School of Nursing breaks ground on its new home, the $19 million state-of-the-art M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education, on April 28.
“I am thrilled to be joining the University of Miami at such an opportune time,” said Dr. Peragallo. “I look forward to working and doing research in a diverse community.”
A 1984 graduate of the University of Texas School of Public Health, where she received her doctorate, Dr. Peragallo previously taught at the nursing schools at University of Illinois, University of Pennsylvania and University of Central Florida. She received her MSN from West Virginia University and her BSN from the University of Chile in Valparaiso, Chile. She is a Fellow American Academy of Nursing (FAAN) member, President of the National Association of Hispanic Nurses and was a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Nurse Scholar while at the University of Pennsylvania from 1989-91.
Dr. Peragallo replaces interim dean Sharon Pontius, who will rejoin the faculty and assist in the transition.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...