Lama Zopa Rinpoche visits UM

In a private meeting with ten UM-affiliated individuals, Lama Zopa Rinpoche, currently the main Tibetan Lama spreading Buddhism to the West, gave a candid depiction of his journey to becoming a Lama, followed by a lecture in the Learning Center [LC] that was filled to capacity.
“I was so excited that such a renowned figure of Buddhist religion was on campus that I called in sick to work to attend his lecture,” Fahadh Faasil, freshman, said. “I wish I could have met with him in person to ask him personal questions.”
During the meeting, Rinpoche spoke to a group comprised of religion students and faculty, a representative from the Tibetan library of Buddhism in Miami and a reporter from The Miami Hurricane.
Rinpoche told the group that he was born in Nepal in a mountain village near Mt. Everest, surrounded by fresh water rivers and beautiful trees. At the age of four, he said, he went to a special Buddhist school near his home. However, he said he would sneak out of the school to visit his mother in the middle of the night, until his mother became angry and sent him to another school farther away.
He then went on to say that one day he asked his guru [a Buddhist teacher/monk]to visit his home with him. Rinpoche’s mother had made potato wine and offered some to the guru and to her son.
Rinpoche said he drank so much that the guru had to carry him on his shoulders through the mountains all the way back to the school.
“His life sounds so cool,” Andres Engel, junior, said after he was presented with the information provided at the meeting.
During the lecture held immediately after the private meeting, Rinpoche explained that if one understands the meaning of life, emotional problems will be eliminated.
He also said that much of the problems in life arise from not knowing the purpose of living.
“I pondered on Rinpoche’s words carefully after he spoke them,” Suchita Thakkar, freshman, said. “I’ve often wondered about the meaning of life but never actually sat down and analyzed it – I felt so harrowed.”
“The way to enlightenment is by truth,” Rinpoche said. “The root to suffering is not knowing oneself.”
Rinpoche also believes that happiness is universal.
“Happiness is for both humans and animals – all need happiness to grow and peace,” Rinpoche said.
“The whole thing was enriching,” Engel said. “Rinpoche helped us find happiness in a very simple way.”
“I don’t think I’ll ever be sad again,” Thakkar said.
Rinpoche believes that all should take the time to learn about themselves.
“By enriching the human body, one can attain so much,” Rinpoche said. “Understanding of the mind can solve problems within the hour, minute, even second.”
“Although you might have everything, your heart can be in misery,” Rinpoche said.
Currently, Rinpoche is on a world tour. He will be in the area for one more week until he travels to France for two weeks, followed by two weeks in Russia.
He will end his trip in Mongolia, where he will meet his Holiness the Dali Lama, the highest-ranking priest of Buddhism.
For more information on Lama Zopa Rinpoche, contact Dr. Stephen Sapp, head of religious studies, at ssapp@miami.edu.

Abhishek Shah can be contacted at ablashek@hotmail.com

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...