Day of Silence fosters public outcry against discrimination

Dozens of UM students tied red bandannas around their arms and took part in the Day of Silence Project, a national youth movement protesting the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender [GLBT]people and their allies.
“By going silent for a day, we are helping demonstrate the silence that is forced on the GLBT people every day,” Christopher Vasquez said in a written statement. “We just want to raise awareness of the issues we face.”
Vasquez is the president of SpectrUM, the University association that recognizes and celebrates individual differences in sexual identity, orientation and behavior.
Throughout the week, SpectrUM volunteers passed out the standard red armbands and “silence cards” to interested passersby in the UC breezeway.
The silence cards were intended to be given by a silent volunteer to others as a substitute for conversation.
“My deliberate silence echoes that silence, which is caused by harassment, prejudice, and discrimination,” the cards read. “I believe that ending the silence is the first step toward fighting these injustices. Think about the voices you are not hearing today.”
The cards then propose a challenge: “What are you going to do to end the silence?”
As a result of the day’s events, many participants began to understand the struggles that many people may encounter when faced with discrimination.
“Most gay people are in the closet. In other words, they are silent,” Frank J. Corbishley, the Episcopalian Chaplain at UM, said. “They are silent because they are afraid of how people will react to them.”
Corbishley was one of few adults wearing a red armband and supporting the cause.
“By being silent, I am trying to empathize with them,” Corbishley said.
Corbishley hopes that students benefited from the Day of Silence.
“I’m also hoping that people will get the message that silence in the face of prejudice and hatred is destructive,” he said. “No one should have to be afraid.”

Sam Lockhart can be contacted at hurricane_opinion@hotmail.com.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...