Art celebrates love, not war

L&A sheds a tear at Cernuda Arte

To Pat Benatar, it’s a battlefield. Huey Lewis sang about its power. It comforted Shakespeare like “sunshine after rain.” And to Cuban artist Demi Rodriguez, love is everything – a philosophy that she happily illustrates at this month’s exhibit at Cernuda Arte in Coral Gables.
Rodriguez, who goes simply by Demi, captures the tenderness between she and her husband, Arturo Rodriguez, in her exhibit Everything for Love. It’s from him that Demi learned how to paint, and her works are a happy illustration of the joy of their marriage.
Brimming with idyllic representations of nature and celestial imagery, Demi’s work is a spectacular feast for the eyes. She paints with intense colors, a combination of deep ceruleans, sumptuous reds, and lush green forests. Glittery paint even makes a coy appearance in a handful of pieces, including “Alone with the Butterflies” and “The Wedding.” The effect adds a stunning gloss to the emotions of her work.
Love is a festival for Demi, evident in her whimsically ornate details and dainty speckles of color. “Here We Come!” a giddy ode to marriage, shows a couple on a bike being trailed by a stream of flowers. “The Kiss” is a fanciful explosion of color, centering on a kissing couple surrounded by glittery cupids who play with a plump garland of violet blossoms.
This joyous, affectionate exhibit is a breath of fresh air amidst our current troubled times, and the art that imitates the pain. In the endearing “Two Artists in Love,” Arturo lovingly strokes his wife’s hair as the pair lies on a bed of blue blossoms. Two girls dressed in diaphanous white gowns welcome a glowing orb amidst a light-filled forest in “Painters Embracing the Moon.”
“An Artist between Bacchus and Venus” could have been lifted out of Klimt’s sketchbook, with its enchanting gold outlining and smatterings of color. The painting depicts Arturo and the playful god of wine, and Demi as a rather reserved Venus.
The self-explanatory “Artist with Fireflies in His Hair” portrays Arturo in his childhood days, luring the insects in with sugar. Sensually tinged, “A Painter and a Model” features Arturo as the artist, painting his nude wife as she holds a peacock.
Says Demi, who now resides in Miami, “I have found that there is more to life than pain…that love is all-powerful and can do wonders.” This gorgeous celebration of marriage, companionship, and true love is a stunning showcase that will certainly put a song in your heart – something much needed these days.
Everything for Love runs through May at Cernuda Arte, 3155 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables. For more information, call 305-461-1050.

Jessica Misener can be reached at jessm02@yahoo.com.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...