Yellow Rose presents ‘GENESIS’

The Yellow Rose Society, an organization comprised of mostly minority women that focuses on community outreach, academic achievement, peer education and leadership in order to promote unity, held their annual play, GENESIS, on Thursday night in the UC I-Lounge.
GENESIS is a play written, produced, directed and performed by the members of Yellow Rose Society that dramatically represents issues affecting young women.
“People have said that it was better this year then last year,” Christina Coleman, freshman, said. “I guess it just gets better and better every year.” The theme for this year’s play was “Sister to Sister. . . Words of Wisdom.”
This year, the play examined domestic violence and other issues. One skit depicted a girl leaving her boyfriend because of his drug use.
“It was a good thing because she made the right decision,” Coleman said.
Another skit looked at roommate issues ending with one roommate moving out.
“It showed how to solve problems and make things better,” Coleman said.
The Yellow Rose Society and GENESIS are also nominated for a SOAR award for Excellence in Programming in performance.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...